Chapter 7 - Partners?!

Chapter 7: Partners?!

It was Monday morning and all the students seemed to be operating on auto pilot. Except Rachel, she loved Mondays. Why? Because Mondays meant she had Art Class. Plus she was looking forward to this semester because they had a special field trip at the end of the year.

A few senior guys greet her good morning as she walks to the classroom. They nudge each other on the chest when she raises her eyebrows at them in greeting, too lazy to greet them verbally. All she wanted was to get to class to see what they'll be working on for the next few weeks.

Not everyone knew of her secret inclination to the Arts. In a way she wanted to keep a little part of herself to, well, herself. With the students' relentless interest on her personal life, it was the only thing that she could enjoy without anyone judging her. She keeps her paintings inside one of the spare rooms they had at home and actually, only Aly's seen them.

"Good morning class!" Mr. Carter, the art teacher strides in with a grin.

He takes a sip from his coffee as he sits down, looking cheery as always, if not a bit wacky. The class groans in response. Rachel rolls her eyes, these kids had no appreciation for the arts whatsoever.

"Okay I get it, this is your first class of the day... And of the year." He says as he holds up his hands. "But come on, this is a safe space, it's a fun space! It's the only class in this school where you guys can express yourselves."

Rachel smirks. Mr. Carter was actually a pretty decent teacher. Aside from the fact that he taught her favorite class, he was one of the few authentic people in the faculty, the other teachers they had in the school were always trying to suck up to her dad by sucking up to her. Not that it mattered.

Mr. Carter proceeds to talk about their midterm project, a portrait painting. But it didn't matter what style they painted it in because, according to him, it was a way of expressing their emotions. Rachel starts to worry because she's never painted a portrait before, but she's sure she can handle it. Not that it was a competitive class, she just never does the bare minimum. And a White never does the bare minimum.

They're 10 mins in with the discussion for the midterm project when the door opens, revealing a blonde haired girl she knew all too well. Rachel closes her eyes and scrunches her eye brows. Why did Veronica have to be in this class?

"Sorry I'm late sir! I accidentally spilled coffee all over my shirt. As you can see." Veronica says, gesturing to her coffee stained top.

Mr. Carter comically walks around her like he was examining a sculpture. "Hmmmm..." He says as he rubs his imaginary beard. "No I don't see it. I think you're good."

"... at spilling coffee all over myself, yeahp."

The students giggle and Rachel's eyebrow twitches. It wasn't even funny. She's not falling for the oh-so-popular "SoCal Heath Charm."

"Oooh I like you, please take a seat miss...?"

"Veronica Heath, sir." She replies as she looks around for somewhere to sit. Rachel notices the empty seat beside her and is about to push it to the next worktable when Veronica sees her.

Veronica waves as she skips to her table. "Hey Rach!"

"Uuughhh!" Rachel groans loudly. This is her favorite class, she didn't have to sit with her.

"Is something wrong girls?"

"No Mr. Carter." They say in unison.

Veronica sighs and sits down beside her. "Good morning to you to- Oh crap..."