Fortnite

"I don't know why all these girls are complaining about their boyfriends playing Fortnite."

"Probably because you're a boyfriend playing Fortnite."

Elliot and me are sat on his bed. He, as usual, has his eyes glued on the TV mounted on his wall, controller in hand. "Yeah, but it's not like I'm doing anything wrong."

"Well, we could be, you know, talking to each other."

"What are we doing right now?"

I smack his arm playfully, "You know what I mean."

"It's how we work. I play Fortnite, you read or whatever, and we live happily ever after."

I look up from my book at the TV. "North West, 210." Elliot follows my instruction and snipes at another player. A sign pops up on screen, '#1 Victory Royale'.

"And that," Elliot points at the screen, "is why I love you."

"Really? That's the only reason?"

"No! You're..." He pauses, and I raise my eyebrows, waiting for an answer. "You've got a great arse to be fair."

I grab a pillow from behind me and hit him hard in the face. "I'm joking! I'm joking!"

"You're unbelievable." I try to keep a straight face, but soon we're both laughing.

"I'm better than some boyfriends." He says as he sets up a new match, game, round or whatever you call it.

"How's that then?"

"I don't ignore you completely."

I put my hand over my heart. "How privileged I am."

"Don't you forget it."

I sigh and go back to reading my book. I honestly don't care that he's always playing his game. Like he said, we still talk, and I don't mind getting on with my own thing.

After a while he asks, "What are you reading?"

"Just another one of those romances you bought me."

"They any good?"

"Great. They have boys in them who actually care about their girlfriends more than a game."

He rolls his eyes, smiling, and shoots a character on screen.

"Why don't you play with me?"

I cringe, "Oh, God, the innuendo."

"Shut up, you know what I mean." He replies, laughing. "Anyway, you could play on the laptop if you want?"

"I'd be awful at it."

"What makes you think that?"

"You know I'm awful at these kind of games."

"How?"

"Remember that one time you played Call of Duty with me?"

He flinches as he remembers; safe to say it didn't go very well. I move closer to him and rest my head on his shoulder. "Wanna play Skribbl.io?" He laughs, and I feel his body tense under me as he fights with a character onscreen.

"I swear Skribbl.io is the only computer game you allow yourself to play."

"It's the only one I'm good at."

I hear him mumble under his breath, "Debatable." And I punch him in the arm.

"I'm amazing at Skribbl.io and you know it."

"If you say so."

"If I'm rubbish at Skribbl.io, then you're rubbish at Fortnite." As soon as the words leave my mouth, the screen is filled with '#1 Victory Royale.'

He turns to me, eyebrow raised. "Rubbish you say?"

"Shut up." I mumble.

He starts a new game, "If you win this game, you don't love me."

He turns to look at me, confusion plain on his features. "What?"

"If you win this game of Fortnite, you don't love me."

He looks at me like I've gone mad, and continues playing, shaking his head. I go back to reading. I honestly couldn't care less whether or not he wins this game.

"I'm only kidding, you know that right?"

He nods, "Yeah, of course."

"Good..." I raise an eyebrow and he smiles at me before turning back to his game. He's acting weird; I can sense it. Boys are so strange.

I read for a while and glance up at the TV every so often. Elliot shoots a character on screen and then it's only him and one other person left. Without a word Elliot chucks the remote down on the bed and allows his character to get shot. I sit looking at the TV, mouth open wide.

"Wh-Why the hell would you do that?! You were about to win!"

"I know."

I turn to find him looking at me, smile on his face.

"I don't get it. You could have won your third game in a row; that would have been a personal best. You've been trying to do that for ages."

"I know."

"I'm so confused."

He laughs and pulls me into a hug with one arm, kissing the top of my head. "I'm proving how much I love you."

He's such a dork.

I punch him in the arm.

"Ow! You're meant to swoon and say you love me too."

"I love you too."

"That's more like it." He hugs me tighter.

"You're still an idiot though."

"I know."

We stay in silence for a moment before Elliot pulls away and picks up the remote.

"I'm teaching you to play Fortnite."

"Why?"

"I want to combine my two favourite things."

I smile and roll my eyes.

We lie there all night, laughing, talking and playing Fortnite. Sure, I get shot. A lot. I slowly start to get better; but that doesn't even matter. I don't care about the game; I care about Elliot. And us, playing this game together, there's nothing I'd rather do.

-----------------------------------

Vote & comment if you feel like it xo

Do you play Fortnite? Is your bf/gf obsessed with it?