Hi

"Hi."

I open my eyes and lift my head off the edge of the pool behind me.

"Erm, hi." I respond slowly to the stranger in front of me.

"I'm Fred."

"Hi, Fred."

I'm not good with strangers.

If you can't tell.

"What's your name?"

"I'm Zara."

"Like the shop?"

I nod my head at the usual response to my name.

A child of about 7 jumps into the pool about a metre away, splashing Fred and me with the cold water.

"Nice weather isn't it?" Fred asks.

"Usually is in Spain."

He nods his head in agreement. "I guess that's why we come on holiday. For the weather."

"Yep."

We fall into awkward silence and I resist the urge to just submerge my head in the cool water. Anything to get out of this interaction.

Even though we're in silence, Fred remains. He doesn't swim away, doesn't leave the pool, just stays, bobbing slightly in the water in front of me.

"Can you do a forward roll? In the water?"

I'm shocked by the sudden interruption of our silence. The random question takes me a moment to process, but when I do I simply motion for him to move backwards and throw myself forwards, rotating fully in the water.

"What about a handstand?"

"I can't get my legs fully straight." I'm surprised by my own reply. The sentence more than I would usually offer a stranger.

"I'll hold them for you if you want?" I'm equally as surprised when I find myself nodding to his offer.

I take a deep breath and dive down, my hands flat on the bottom of the pool. I feel Fred's hands on my ankles, holding my legs straight in the perfect handstand.

I push off the floor with my hands and Fred's hands leave my legs as I rise to the surface. My skin is still warm in the cool water where his hands were.

"Thank you." I say, smiling slightly.

"No problem, I just wish I could do it."

"I can help you if you want?" It's out of my mouth before I can stop it, the offer hanging in the air.

His toothy grin is the only reply I need.

"I always end up with water up my nose."

I teach him to do it and eventually he gets there, me holding his legs up, laughing.

He comes to he surface, matching my smile with one of his own.

"After 17 years I finally did it."

"I can't believe you've never done it before."

Our conversation is interrupted when my mum comes to the edge of the pool, calling me out to get some lunch, her dark skin glowing in the sun.

I turn to Fred, my smile fading. "Will you be here this afternoon?"

He nods. "As long as you are."

As I walk towards the ladders of the pool I turn, "Put more sun cream on your face, you're burning."

We share one last smile before I leave the pool.

I come back to the pool after lunch, eager to see Fred again. I search the pool to find it empty. I frown slightly, he must be away having his own lunch.

I lie on a sunbed, removing my phone from my bag to text my best friend, Sarah. I have to tell her about Fred.

Sarah has her own boyfriend, Hayden. I smile just thinking of the couple, they're perfect together and I couldn't be happier for their relationship after watching Sarah pine over him for years.

I've missed her loads during my holiday, but our text conversations keep us close.

I tell her about the good looking, ginger haired boy who charmed me with his water handstands, and I laugh at the memory of him coming to the surface, coughing from the water he got up his nose.

Make a move is her reply.

I shake my head. Easy for her to say now, she never would have made a move on Hayden.

I'm about to text her back when a figure blocks the sun in front of me. As soon as I look up and see his fiery red hair, I smile.

"Hey."

"Hi."

-----------------------------

Another rubbish one 😬
Might do a part 2?

Vote & comment if you feel like it xo

(Btw shoutout to you if you remembered Sarah & Hayden from Unrequited.)