Chapter nine

Catelyn was back. Robb had sent her off just over a month ago to make negotiations with Renly Baratheon, but alas, he was murdered. Since Adelaie had rejected Robb, he had been cold towards her. She had less of a say in movements, he seemed to exclude her from war meetings, refused to talk to her.

It had begun to get on her nerves. This was not only his war.

Adelaie was storming her way through the camp, any man that had tried to get in her way quickly moved when they noticed the murderous look upon her face. Her strides were long, and meaningful. She had put up with Robb's treatment, but he had gone too far. The moment she stepped into the war tent, most of the lords were exiting. Upon seeing her, they went to greet her, yet when she walked past without even a glance, they did not bother. Robb would have to deal with her now.

"How dare you!" she exclaimed when her eyes landed on Robb. She stopped on Lord Bolton's left side. The man looked over to her, and when he saw her glare, he turned to Robb, who had looked over to him, and given the king a 'you're on your own' look before turning, and leaving them. Robb didn't speak up, instead, he stood there and stared at her blankly, "Why is it only today I hear about what Theon has done?" she pushed,

"You did not need to know until now." He replied calmly, "By dawn tomorrow you alone will be riding back to Winterfell. You will meet Lord Bolton's bastard, Ramsay, and take back Winterfell and free my brothers." Adelaie's jaw dropped. If she was angry before, she was now seething,

"Why am I only hearing of this now?" she questioned, "We started this war together, Robb! What gives you the right to send me off?"

"Because I am your king!" his voice boomed in her ears, and instantly silenced her. Robb sighed, "and I want my brothers back." He finished, looking away from the woman standing before him. almost a year had passed since they last saw Eddard and the Stark girls. In that time, Adelaie had matured quickly. Her features were more defined, attitude was more attuned and her ability in combat had exponentially expanded.

Adelaie softened at his words, and sighed. All anger she held against the man began to simmer. She knew he was under a lot of pressure and stress, and he needed to send someone he trusted back to reclaim Winterfell. Yet she couldn't help but feel it was another way to get her out of his sight.

Adelaie let that thought leave her mind, and walked around the table to stand next to Robb.

"Winterfell also is my home, and those boys are also my brothers. I will make sure Theon pays for what he's done." Robb turned to look at her, and as soon as his eyes met hers, he engulfed her into a hug. This embrace was not like the few they had shared that night, but one of trust, and comfort. Robb wouldn't see the girl for months to come after this moment, and even though he had been deeply in love with her, he began to see how impossible their relationship would have been, and why she had hurt him.

Both pulled away from the embrace, and Robb looked at her with a small smile,

"I'm going to miss you." He told her,

"I know you will." Adelaie replied cheekily, causing Robb to chuckle and shake his head.

"Be safe, and stay off the roads." With a short nod, Adelaie walked out from that tent, and back to her own to prepare to leave.

----

No one knew that she had left. Catelyn didn't, Lord Umber didn't, Lord Glover and all the rest hadn't been told. The only two who knew were Lord Bolton and Robb. Adelaie knew that they would all have known by now, she'd left three weeks ago and still had another day's ride until she was at Winterfell.