Chapter ten

Adelaie was gliding through a forest as green as her eyes, dodging trees and low hanging branches. This alone was enough for her to know it was a dream. Her mind assumed she was a raven, as she had been before in many other dreams.

Adelaie glided and glided through the, seemingly, endless forest for hours. When she finally landed, she was in front of a small pond, and on the other side stood a boy. He was skinny, and not very tall. His hair was a mess of golden brown curls while his oak-stained eyes stared down at her.

"Hello Adelaie, we have been waiting for you." He spoke. As he did, Adelaie turned to see someone stand next to him. it was Bran. Adelaie went to exclaim his name, but when she opened her mouth, all that left was an ear-piercing screech. She shut her mouth, and almost fell backwards. What was that? She did not know.

Slowly, she moved forwards to the pond, yet she was not ready for what she saw. The face of a white scaled beast stated back. Black horns littered the back of her skull and continued down her spine while two rows of sharp, black teeth replaced her usual pearly-white ones.

Her arms were now two large bat-like wings, as pale as snow and her body was now scaled like a reptilian. The tail that extended from her body was almost the same length, if not longer than she was, and spikes ran down to the end where the spikes ran down either side to create a webbed fan. She may have only been half the height of the boy standing in front of her, yet she was ten times as deadly as he was, for she was a dragon.

"This is no dream Adelaie, we're waiting for you beyond the wall. You'll find us." The boy with golden hair spoke. Before he could say any more, her vision began to fade to black, and before she knew it, they were gone.

A gasp escaped Adelaie's mouth, her body jolting upright. She looked at her surroundings, she was in a room but how? She remembered her horse dying, but not much after that. When Adelaie's eyes landed on the table next to her bed she saw a cup, causing her to quickly stand, only to have a wave a nausea take over her.

Once it had past she grabbed the cup and brought it to her lips, it was water as she had expected. The dryness in her throat was washed away as she finished her gulp. The door to the room she was in swung open, causing her to head to snap in the direction of it.

Adelaie's gaze landed on the man standing at the doorway, he was short and large, his hair was brown as was the stubble on his face. Adelaie's brown eyes met his kind ones, which stared at her in what looked to be horror. The bowl he had in his hand came to a clutter on the floor before he turned and rushed out of the room, loudly slamming the door shut behind him.

Adelaie frowned at his unusual behaviour, placing the cup down and walking over to the door. Her thoughts were clouded by her dream, vision, she was torn by it. Adelaie placed the cup down softly, and slowly paced to the door. Just as she was going to push the door open, someone pulled it hastily from the other side, causing her to jump back.

Three men stood at the doorway, one being the portly man from earlier. The one who'd pulled open the door had short, greying curls and a tired expression and the man that had abruptly slammed the door on her earlier stood on one side while an old man stood slightly hunched on his other side.

The three men wordlessly walked in, closing the door behind them while she moved back, gaining slight distance from them. She scanned the room, looking for her great sword, only it was nowhere in sight. The first man slightly looked over her, he held a look of uncertainty,

"I am Alliser Thorne, Acting Lord Commander of the Nights Watch. Assuming I am correct, you must be Lady Adelaie of house Morley." Alliser said, his voice held authority, pushing away all doubt that clouded the brunette's mind. She relaxed slightly, knowing she'd made it to her destination,