Chapter twelve

A/n okay so this will take place before the Wildlings attack the wall even though it happens after but you'll get why after reading it.

They had been traveling for days, only briefly stopping to eat. Jojen, as she had learnt the night they set out, had only worsened over the days, not only concerning his sister, but also Adelaie. The boy had told her many things in the small they me she knew him, she was a shifter, apparently. The first one anyone had seen in centuries but that was all he could tell her, he hadn't a clue on how she could change or anything of the sort, only who she was destined to be.

The longer they walked through the storm, the more she watched Jojen sway with the wind, his sister, Meera who she'd been walking along side had told him we should rest, only for him to refuse. As soon as he muttered his refusal, he fell.

Both girls ran to his side to see if he was alright, he looked up, a look of realisation crossing his features,

"We're here." He said before Bran was shouting his name, telling him he needed to look. Adelaie helped him up, telling Meera she can go ahead.

"Thank you." Jojen told her,

"Don't thank me, Jojen." She told him as he leaned against her for support, using his walking stick to help. Adelaie helped him up the hill, both of them now stared out to a large weirwood, only a small distance separated them from the tree. Silence passed over the group as they stared at the tree, Jojen gave Bran a knowing look, his eyes leaving the boy's and landing on her.

In the short timespan that he'd known her, he could easily say he'd developed something for the girl. Maybe it was the way her smile always made things better or how persistent she was she help him. He didn't know but it wouldn't matter for much longer, not for him anyway.

They had walked down the hill overlooking the weirwood, now walking across an iced plane to get to the entrance at the other side. Jojen and Adelaie walked at the back, the girl refusing the let go of him in case he collapsed again. Jojen couldn't complain though, the feeling of her arm wrapped around his torso was comforting, the warmth that radiated from her body added to that comfort as his body leaned against hers.

Meera was already halfway across the field while Bran, Hodor and his wolf, Summer, were almost at the entrance of the tree. Jojen and Adelaie had only walked out on the field, making it a few feet from where they had come from before Jojen fell, causing Adelaie to stumble forward before losing her footing. When she looked back at the golden-haired boy, he looked confused and she realised why when he was being pulled back.

"Jojen!" She yelled, her eyes going wide as she scrambled to him, grabbing his outstretched arms, only he was pulled back again. Adelaie had finally ripped him from its grips, about half a dozen, including Jojen's attacker, rose from the ground. Adelaie pulled Jojen to his feet, blocking an oncoming attacker with one arm, not able to reach her sword in time. Unable to push the skeleton away, she brought her leg up and kicked it as hard as she could in the small space she had, only causing it to stumble back. It wasn't much but it gave her enough time to get Phantom out, blocking the hit from its axe. The skeleton pushed her back, causing her to fall and went after Jojen, who attempted to block its attack with his walking stick, only having it sliced in half. Adelaie got to her feet as quickly as she could, blocking the next swing it took at the defenceless boy, Meera now at their side blocking a sword that attempted to pierce Adelaie through the back.

Meera pushed her brother to the ground as she attempted to break another enemy. Adelaie's sword sliced another in half with ease as Jojen told Bran to save himself. Meera had been pushed closer to Bran while Adelaie had her back to Jojen, stopping a sword from swinging down on him. She quickly cut the monster in half, turning to check on the boy, only to see him being repeatedly stabbed in the chest. Horror took over the girl, quickly she swung her sword down on the skeleton lying next to him, stopping its attack.