Goggles

They walked back to the army base and Tord turned him in a different direction than usual. The doors were labelled and they entered one that had a Norwegian word on it, meaning, "Labratory."

Tord spoke in Norwegian, asking them if they knew anything about optometry. One replied positively. Tord told them to take eye tests on Tom to fix his vision, that Tom spoke English so he wouldn't understand if the scientist spoke in any other language, and not to ask about his black eyes.

The scientist informed the red leader that they didn't need to do any tests. They had been working on goggles that would enable anyone to see, no matter what kind of vision loss you had suffered. It even boosted sight, had a built in radio, and had voice activated features, like Siri but better.

Tord wondered if the goggles were tested and had any sort of effect that would cause damage to the wearer. The scientist told him no, ten of the employees were wearing the goggles and none of them had been experiencing any sort of unidentified damage caused by the headset.

Tord explained to Tom about the conversation they had just had as the scientist fetched a pair of goggles. Tom was silently astonished by the creation that the commie's army would make. Something that could cure blindness.

The scientist came back and helped him attach the goggles to his head. Everything was black for a moment when suddenly white flashed in his eyes, forcing him to close them. When they opened, the world was a lot more intense than it had recently been. The blues were clearly blue and the reds were clearly red, same for all of the other colours. He blinked as a robotic voice said something in Norwegian. It paused and said, "English."

"Yes," Tom said uncertainly.

"Voice acquired. Please input name," it said.

Tom stopped himself from stuttering, not wanting his name to be Umtom, "Tom."

"Is Tom correct?" the voice asked.

"Yes."

"Hello, Tom. What would you like my name to be?"

Tom thought for a moment, inaudibly laughing at all of the names he could choose. He chose a classic, boring computer name, one that he could easily remember: "Siri."

"Is Siri correct?"

"No!" Tord jumped in. "Siri's lame. Do something more exciting!"

"Yes, Siri is correct," Tom said, ignoring Tord.

"Would you like me to accept another voice?"

Tord looked at Tom and nodded but Tom wasn't feeling like playing along. "No."

"Any of this information may be changed if asked. Feel free to tell me or ask me anything; I am the internet. Remember to say my name before asking, or else I get confused as to who you are talking to."

"Okay Siri," Tom said.

The scientist held out a mirror for Tom. He looked into it and saw digital green eyes staring back at him.

"Cool," Tom gasped. He blinked and winked at himself.

"Alright, enough looking at your gorgeous new face, let's go," Tord urged. Tom blushed, the complement from Tord warmed his heart. He felt special; he felt like he was gorgeous.

When they arrived back in the room, Pau was seated on the couch. Tord coughed, "Pau! What are you doing here?"

"To discuss what you're going to doing with the army," he said. "Were you having a nice date with your boyfriend?"

They both blushed violently, secretly loving the idea. "We weren't on a date!" Tord exclaimed, embarrassed.

"Then why are you both red? I know you aren't sunburnt."

Tord growled, "You didn't come here to talk about my personal life, you came to talk about the army."

"Yes, explain to me what you want to do with it," Pau asked. Tord walked in and Tom followed closed behind unsurely.

"Pau... I think I'm not..." Tord trailed off. Tom nudged him. They looked at each other for a moment, just as they had done when Tom was a cat and convinced him to go to England. Tord nodded back but before he could speak, Pau jumped in.

"You're so dating."

"No we're not!" They exclaimed simultaneously.

Tord huffed. "I don't think I'm fit to be a leader anymore," he spat out, happy to finally get those words off of his tongue.

The soldier paused, "What? Sir, you can't just quit on us."

"Yes, I think I can," Tord challenged.

"No, I think you can't," Pau growled. He stood from the couch. "We've come all this way and now you just want to quit? Where are you gonna go? You're wanted in more than one country."

"I'll figure something out," he said.

"Figure something out? This is exasperating! All this hard work and now you want to quit!? Why? Because you're stupid boyfriend says you should?"

"No, don't bring him into this. I'm the one who wants to quit," he said, surprising Tom with his calm attitude. He shook his head, "Never mind."

"Never mind what?"

"Never mind. I'm just stressed is all. It's getting to me," Tord sighed. Tom grew sad that Tord was being pushed around and wanted to help but kept his mouth shut.

"Told you dogs are better at stress relief than cats," Pau said like a smartass. "Where's the cat anyways? You were everywhere with him, it's weird seeing you apart." Unbeknownst to him, they weren't apart. "You get him humanized?" He gasped, "Oh! He's your cat!"

Tord brushes off the subject, "Yeah, yeah, let's move on from that subject. So I'm sorry I wanted to quit."

"It's fine. So about the army?"

Tord paused and sighed, "Attack Jarlsberg Manor and try for a takeover, if not make it a fear parade. Don't harm anyone, this is for power and fear."

Tom was taken aback. First he cancelled on the plan to quit the army and then he decides to go for an attack? A takeover? A fear parade? He was disappointed to say the least.

"Alright. Big group of soldiers?"

"Yeah, as many as you need, a few extra if need be."

"Okay. Y'know sex is a good stress relief-"

"Pau! We are not together!" Tord exclaimed, the red that had just completely fading coming right back to both of their faces. A flicker of a sinful thought entered both of their minds but they pushed it the fuck away.

Pau laughed, "Just joking. Walls are thick if you-"

"Pau!"

"Yeah, yeah. I'm going," he said, leaving.

"I'm sorry about him, Tom," Tord apologized.

"Lame."