Surgery

The phone rang slowly and Tord could only hope that his friend hadn't lost his old phone, sold it, or broke it.

"Hello? Pat speaking," the familiar voice said into the Norwegian's scarred ear.

"Pat, old friend!" Tord exclaimed. "How've you been?"

"Sorry, do I know you?"

Tord laughed, "It's me! Tord! Or should I say red leader?"

"Sir! How you doing? How's your arm? Has it been causing any pain? I found a flaw in it after I left but couldn't remember your phone and you warned me not to come back to the army base because I might be tried for treason and-"

"Pat!" Tord cut the man's rant off. "No, I haven't had pain in my arm since the surgery. I was hoping you'd be fine doing one last thing?"

"Anything, sir! What would it be?"

"You don't have to call me sir, Pat. Tord's fine. And it's not for me. My friend, Matt, got jumped. I've made a metal plate and eye to replace his infected chin and swollen eye that won't open. I just need someone to cut off the body parts."

Pat paused for a moment, considering the options, before speaking again, "Want me to put him for the operation or no?"

"Yes, please do. Where can I meet you?"

"Same place you told me to stay."

Tord remembers that place. The little cabin in the woods. He had killed a man to get it but it was worth it. It made a great hideout and was spacious for a small group of people. He gave the place to Pat because of its secrecy, and how much he needed him hidden.

"You turn that place into a hospital or something?" Tord chuckled jokingly.

"Not exactly. If I find someone who I think I can help, I take them back with me and fix 'em up. Sometimes it's just having homeless people stay with me for the winter, sometimes it's performing a major surgery. I have the materials for it."

Tord was kind of amazed. "How do you get the funds?"

"Well, after I left the army I kind of joined a small gang. I helped them out quite a bit, hiding them from the cops. They owe me a few favours and money isn't a big problem for them. And the donations I get from a few of my past housemates. Plus, I had a rich uncle that died a year or so ago, so that helped me out quite a bit."

Tord gaped in awe. His old friend was doing quite well, and he was glad. After the pause he asked, "When can I meet you?"

||

Matt was worried and wiggling uncomfortably on the cold, hard operating table. Edd held his hand, reassuring the boy that everything would be okay.

Tord had spilt the news about making Matt a new chin and eye the evening after the phone call with Pat. Tom had agreed, being the one to already have a robotic attachment. Edd hadn't liked the idea but Matt jumped right in. He was worried for himself but would do anything to stop his ugly eye and chin from getting any uglier, plus the pain growing in them was getting unbearable.

"Just sit still. I need to give you an IV so we can put you out for the operation," Pat said, rolling over to the table in his wheel chair, carrying a needle on his lap.

Matt was clearly about to run, his fear of needles acting up, but Edd hugged him tight, whispering kind words into the ginger's ear, calming him. Matt calmed down right away, even as the retired man grabbed his hand and poked the needle into it. It went in first try and Pat secured it on with some tape.

"I want you to count down from 10, alright?"

Matt did what he was told, stopping at seven and slouching into his boyfriend's arms: asleep. Edd lay the boy down on the table and took a step back, still holding onto his hand.

"Are you sure you want to be in here for the operation?" Tord asked. "It will be gory."

"I can handle it," he said, trying to reassure himself with those words.

Pat took the needle from his lap and injected it just below Matt's injured eye. "I'm going to start with the easier part. I'll take the eye out and while I work on the chin, you can put the robotic attachment on," he instructed.

Edd watched uneasily as the eyeball was scooped out with a spoon that looked like it could also be used to eat with. He clipped the cord attaching to the brain and let the eyeball roll of the table and hit the floor with a disgusting sound.

Edd was shaking, his unblinking eyes wide open. Tom noticed and grabbed his hand, gently tugging him out of the room. He sat the frightened boy in a chair just outside the room and cooed to him, telling him that it was okay; Matt was fine.

Edd just looked at the ground and murmured incoherent phrases. He was rocking back and forth slightly, trying to calm himself down from the horrid scene that was bestowed upon him a moment ago.

Oh Jehovah, Tom thought. This is gonna be a long day.