Chapter 13: Secrets

I wake up in a soft bed. The blue covers and blue pillows are familiar. I slowly pull myself out of bed. I walk over to my laptop and open it up. My mother always wanted to please me so she always bought the newest devices. I decided to watch a show so I shut off my laptop and turned on the TV that was built onto my wall.

I flipped through the channels until I found something interesting. I was really surprised that my mother had not come to my room yet. She's probably still mad at me for leaving without telling her. I continued watching my show for another half hour.

After I was done, I got dressed, blue clothes of course. It was the last colour I wanted to see at that moment but it was that or nothing. After I was done, I brushed my hair and walked downstairs. Once I walked into the kitchen, I saw my mother cooking breakfast. She was cooking eggs, sausage and pancakes.

I didn't want her to realize that I was there, so I just went back up to my room. I turned the TV back on and watched a show for 15 minutes. My mother finally came into my room.

"It's time for breakfast." she says

I turn off the TV and slowly walk towards the door. Once I'm out, my mother closes the door behind me and motions for me to go downstairs.

She leads me towards the table and offers me some food. She's acting like nothing ever happened.

We ate breakfast and I was really confused about what had happened.

"How are you feeling?" she asks

"Good." I say

"Thats good." she says

I continue eating my pancakes and sausage. My mother is acting too nice. She happily eats her breakfast.

I sit quietly for our whole conversation. I want to find out why my mother is acting so nice.

After breakfast, we head to the Erudite compound. We are greeted by some Erudite.

"Good morning Jeanine." says an Erudite man

"Good morning David." my mpther replies

As I start to walk away from my mom she stops me.

"Chloe, I will meet you back here at 4pm." she says

"Okay." I say and walk away

As I was walking away I thought to myself, why I was still here. I felt like Erudite was more like prison than life. I decided the best way to overcome my feelings was to confront my mom.

At 4:00pm:

I walk downstairs to the lobby of the Erudite compound. I see my mother with a few Erudite supervisors. I walk towards my mom as she notices me.

"Oh, theres my daughter now." she says

"Well, we will see you tomorrow." says an Erudite man

"Goodbye." my mother says

She walks towards me and leads me towards the doors. She uses one hand to comfort me on the back as we walk to the car. The driver opens the door for my mother and me. Then we drive home.

Once we get home, I decided to go upstairs for a little bit.

At about 8:00 I decide to go downstairs and talk to my mom. I hear her talking to someone and I decide to listen to their conversation.

"I have to show her that I'm being nice. Thats the only way I can get her to help us." I hear my mother say

"Yes, she could help us a lot." a male voice says

"Well I'm going to check on my daughter. I will see you tomorrow." my mother says

"Alright. Good night Jeanine." he says

As soon as I hear the door close, I run upstairs to my room and close the door. I open up my laptop and sit on my bed under the covers.

I hear a knock at my door and my mother enters. She comes and sits on my bed.

"Whats up?" she asks

"Nothing." I say while scrolling through Facebook

"Have you been feeling alright lately?" she asks

"Yea. Why?" I ask

"It just seems like you've been a little off." she says

"I'm fine." I say

"Listen, I'm not mad at you." she says

I sit there with a blank expression on my face. Even though shes acting nice to me, somethings up.

She comforts me and embraces me in a hug.

"I need your help tomorrow." she says

"With what?" I ask

"Computer software." she says

I don't respond. She's the smartest person in Erudite, why was she asking me to help her.

"Umm... Aren't there other people to do that?" I question

"They are all at a conference tomorrow." she says

"Who else is going?" I ask

"It will just be you and me." she says while smiling

"Alright." I say quietly

She gives me on last hug before getting up.

"Get a good night sleep." she says

I crawl under the covers and she turns off the lights.