Chapter 16

Laney
I watched as the painful reality of our situation washed over our group. Gabby's knight was becoming one of them, no not the hounds, a demon. We all rushed towards the entrance of the woods but it had seemed to have vanished, there were still trees and the path that led to the entrance had grown to be useless in our attempt to save a friend. Andy kept running forward when Eli made him stop, I stepped forward to ask why he stopped him, just then noticing the deep ravine that seemed to stretch on forever. “We can't cross that, she's trapped us here.” Andy sighed and sat Jace against an old oak tree. She coughed and breathed in pain. Gabby sat beside her and held her hand tightly, so tight her knuckles began to turn white.

I know I told Eli it wouldn't help but I myself started pacing trying to think of something to help us. The tears began to stream down Gabby's from fear and sadness, I could relate. That was her knight, they've been together forever and did everything together. We all had done the same when Anaiya’s husband died. Things were never the same after he was murdered. That’s when it hit me. If Anaiya was doing this, there was only one place where she could be and that was her husband's grave. “That’s a bit too obvious though.” I looked back at Eli and realized what I had just said. “Sorry but come on, she wouldn’t have said she’s counting on us if it wasn’t.” Everyone, except Gabby, was thinking of the possibilities.

    I pulled Eli to the side and kept my voice down. “What if she’s doing this against her will? Her parents never liked Cole, said he was a disgrace to their family name and that they’d be the laughing stock of their heritage. I never understood what she meant by that but now I knew meant nothing good. Cole was human, he had a heart and he always smiled. “You might be right…” Eli broke my thoughts as I looked back at him. “.....her mother is very controlling and manipulative but how do we get there? Cole’s gravestone is a mile the other way.” Eli was right, we wouldn’t be able to make it safely there with Jace. “Go.” We all looked down at Jace wide eyed.

Savanna

    I was stunned. Jace didn’t seem like the person to give up. “Go without me, I’ll only drag you down. I’m already turning.” Gabby wanted to disagree but Jace grabbed her hand tightly and smiled weakly. “Get there safely, I’ve done my job but now you have to survive for me.” I could feel the tense mood drop only to make room for the sorrow that laced the air around us. I felt the tears prick at the corners of my eyes as Gabby’s poured like a waterfall. I know everyone was on the verge of tears, we were friends and now we’ll be losing another person. I knew Jace was right, I got up and carefully placed my hand on Gabby’s right shoulder. “Come on Gabby, we have to go.” I could feel the hesitance in her now trembling hand as she grabbed mine.

I didn’t like the thought of leaving her but what choice did we have, we didn’t know how to cure someone being turned. We all reluctantly started running in the direction of Anaiya’s location. Not even thirty minutes later we heard the screams and roars of a once loyal, faithful friend. Gabby kept running, staying ahead of us so we couldn’t see the tears, the anger that was stuck to her face.