III

@CherylBombshell

@CherylBombshell

Rosemary stared at Archie Andrews in awe from across the picnic bench, her eyes wide and her mouth open. Archie was playing a song he wrote and recorded over the summer and Rosemary already loved it. She never knew Archie could sing or write song lyrics. He didn't even like poetry so she thought song lyrics just seemed impossible for him to enjoy writing.

"Can I join?" Veronica asked as she walked over. At the table sat Archie and Betty on one side and Kevin and Rosemary on the other.

"Of course," Rosemary nodded, scooching over closer to Kevin. 

Archie quickly closed his laptop, obviously still uneasy about letting new people hear his music. Rosemary suddenly felt squished between Veronica and Kevin. Her knees were pressed together and she couldn't move her arms from her sides. 

"What are we doing?" Veronica asked, looking around the table.

"Listening to one of Archie's songs," Betty boasted Archie's talent.

"I thought we were going to have to pretend to like it," Kevin added. "But it's actually really good."

"Yeah, Arch," Rosemary agreed, taking a sip from her water bottle. "You have some real talent."

"Wait," Veronica turned to Archie with a shocked look on her face. "Thank was you singing? Something you wrote?"

"It's rough," Archie shrugged, not that confident about his abilities.

Rosemary rolled her eyes and picked up one of her apple slices and lightly threw at him from across the table. Archie looked at her in confusion and she stuck her tongue out at him before picking up another apple slice and eating it.

"No," Betty disagreed. "It's great."

"It's incredible, actually," Veronica agreed. "At least from the little snippet I heard. Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with it?"

Kevin and Betty both shared a look of annoyance, obviously being able to tell that Veronica was innocently flirting with Archie by showing her interest in him. Rosemary was oblivious to the slight tension, happy eating her apple slices and humming Archie's song.

"Yeah," Archie nodded. "That's the plan. So how's your first day going? Good?"

"Not to be a complete narcissist," Veronica sighed. "But I thought people would be more-"

"Obsessed with you?" Kevin cut her off. At this, Rosemary rolled her eyes heavily, a piece of licorice candy in her mouth. Betty saw the teenage girl's reaction and snorted quietly.

"Any other year," Rosemary continued for Kevin. "You'd be trending number one, for sure."

"But this year, though," Kevin added on. "Is all about Cheryl trying to win the Best Supporting Psycho Oscar for her role as Riverdale high's bereaved Red Widow."