XIII

Leather Loving

Leather Loving

"Welcome all," Announced Mayor McCoy as she clinked a spoon against her glass to attract everyone's attention. "To the first annual Taste of Riverdale."

Rosemary walked into the town hall smelling of smoke and slightly like alcohol. She wasn't drunk and was able to walk a straight line if asked. She had a plain black leather jacket on with a white tank top underneath that was tucked into a pair of black ripped jeans. She wore a black boot with a sharp heel that gave her an extra two inches in height. Her hair was down and windblown of Sweet Pea's motorcycle.

Rosemary looked around and saw Jughead Jones peaking over the edge of the railing of a balcony in the back of the hall. He and rosemary locked eyes and she felt him taking in her appearance. Rosemary turned on her heel and made a bee-line straight for the ladder.

"As a lead-up to our seventy-fifth-anniversary jubilee," Mayor McCoy continued. "This event proves that Riverdale truly is a town that, When tragedy knocks us down, we get right back up! Bon Appetite."

Rosemary sat on the ground next to Jughead, pulling a lollipop out of the pocket of her jacket. She unwrapped the wrapper, which read 'fruit punch' and shoved the sweet candy in her mouth. She eyed the crowd with Jughead and her eyes landed on Mayor McCoy, who was talking to Penelope and Clifford Blossom. She nudged Jughead and pointed at the small group when she saw Alice Cooper walking over to the three. Alice was mid-sentence when Penelope swung and slapped Alice across the face. Rosemary's dad and Sheriff Keller were walking up to the group at the time, and Alice was knocked right into Rosemary's father, Josh.

"Holy, crap," Rosemary whispered. "That's gotta sting."

Jughead chuckled at the girl's words and eyed her up and down. The leather jacket was definitely not hers. Jughead had never seen her wear it and it was a couple sized to big. The arm sleeves were too long so she had to roll up the sleeves to fit around her wrists. Jughead quickly eyed the back of it, checking for a Southside Serpent symbol. When he saw one, he let out a sigh of relief.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Josh tried to defuse the situation.  "All right, let's-"

"How dare you, Alice Cooper!" Penelope spat at the blonde woman as her husband and Alice's husband, Hal, tried to hold her back. Josh and Sheriff Keller were making sure to hold onto Alice. "Printing my son's autopsy? He was tortured and shot and thrown in the river like a piece of garbage."

"Hey, Riverdale," Josie McCoy said from the stage as the situation was taken care of and Clifford and Penelope quickly left the group. "We are Josie and the Pussycats. Are you ready to rock?"

Almost instantly the music started and the Pussycats started to hum.

"Paints on her skin, colors in her hair,
Come around the corner,
make you stop and stare.
But she don't pay no mind,
'cause she don't really care
what you think about her,
think about her."