XI

Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick

"And in that moment of hesitation," Dilton lectured his scouts as Rosemary and Jughead walked over towards them. "You're dead. All of you are dead." Rosemary started clapping slowly for Dilton's speech, catching his attention quickly. Rosemary lifted her camera and snapped a picture of the line of scouts standing at attention and then one of Dilton.

"At ease, Doiley," Jughead spoke up. "We're writing an article for the Blue and Gold. Hoping you can help."

"Dismissed," Dilton yelled to his troops. "But stay close." All the scouts walked around and met up to talk and Dilton walked up to the Duo, Rosemary taking another picture of him to make sure she at least had two to choose between.

"Cheryl and Archie both say they heard a gunshot the morning of July Fourth," Jughead began in interrogation. "But they don't know who fired."

"Sheriff Keller already asked me about this," Dilton answered quickly. "And like I told him, my Scouts and I, we didn't hear anything weird."

Rosemary sighed and took a step closer to Dilton, standing right between him and Jughead, her scanning his whole body for any sign of nervousness or lying.

"Well," Rosemary asked, getting in his face. "Did you see anything weird?"

Dilton thought for a seconds before sighing, crossing his arms over his chest and standing straighter to look more intimidating. Since Rosemary was short, it was easy for anyone to stand above her, but she always found a way to come out on top.

"A white-winged crossbill," Dilton listed off some birds. "A long-eared owl... Oh, and Cheryl, sitting by the river, soaking wet."

Rosemary went to speak up and knock Dilton off his high horse, but Jughead put one hand on her shoulder and the other on her waist, pulling her back. Rosemary looked down at his hand on her waist and felt her cheeks heat up, but not out of anger. She saw him grip on the fabric of her shirt a bit and even though it was just to hold her back, Rosemary's stomach started to feel weird. Like she was hungry but about to vomit at the same time.

She didn't like it.

"Alright, Doiley," Jughead said. "You can go harass some middle schoolers now."

Jughead led Rosemary away, her complaining to him about dragging her away when she was just about to punch Doiley in the face. Jughead turned around and placed his hands on her shoulders to gain her attention and stop her from ranting.

"One of the scouts was giving me the side eyes," Jughead informed her, making her eyebrows raise up and her hazel eyes widen. "I'm thinking we eavesdrop on his conversations later and then harass him until he tells us what we want?"

Before she could answer, Rosemary's phone buzzed from a text. She looked down to see that it was from Betty and quickly put the password into her phone and opening up her messages.