PROPOSAL

Edward's P.O.V

This is not right.

This should not happen.

This is wrong.

So damn wrong, but I being a foolish vampire, I did it.

"For this one night, could we try to forget everything besides just you and me?" I asked, gazing into her eyes. "It seems like I can never get enough time like that. I need to be with you. Just you."

I heard Bella start her decrepit Chevrolet pickup (as did everyone within a five–mile radius) and pull away from her house. Half a block after she turned the corner, I opened the passenger–side door and hopped in with her.

She glanced at me from the corners of her eyes and then focused them back on the road. She was a careful driver, but I also sensed that she wasn't yet ready to begin our evening. She'd promised to let go of everything else but the two of us for the night. Perhaps she needed a bit of transition time. For once, I was way too impatient with Bella's inordinately slow pace. I mean I'm already having a lot on my mind but she's already pissing me off.

'I love her' I thought or I was trying to convince myself.

Then again why the hell am I doing this??

Yeah, to prevent Jakella from happening and to call Bella mine even if it's temporary.

Pulling up to the house, Bella stopped the truck and I dashed out to open her door. The longer our lips remained locked together, the less I wanted to continue kissing her. Oh god why? I love her.

I really do love her.

When I separated her lips from mine my breath was rapid and uneven and Bella was gasping for air.

"Welcome home," I said, chuckling.

"That sounds nice," she stuttered between breaths.

"I have something for you," I said casually.

"Oh?"

"Your hand–me–down, remember? You said that was allowable."

"Oh, that's right. I guess I did say that." It was a slightly less–than–euphoric response.

I chuckled. "It's up in my room. Shall I go get it?"

"Sure," Bella agreed, seizing my hand. "Let's go."

Even better! Now there was some of the enthusiasm I'd been hoping for. I gathered her into my arms and raced up the first flight of stairs, down the hallway, and up the second flight of stairs to my third–floor bedroom. I set her down outside the door and dashed to the already–open fire safe in my closet, snatching up the precious charm.

As I returned to Bella, she stepped past me toward the bed to sit.

"Okay," Bella said grudgingly. "Let me have it."

"A hand–me–down," I reiterated, highlighting the lowly nature of the trinket.

I pulled her hand from her leg and linked the 12–caret, heart–shaped diamond to her new silver bracelet. It sparkled and gleamed in the light of the bedside lamp. Bella gulped.

"It was my mother's." I shrugged at its inconsequence. "I inherited quite a few baubles like this. I've given some to Esme and Alice both. So, clearly, this is not a big deal in any way."

Bella smiled sympathetically at the mention of my long–dead mother, Elizabeth Masen.

"But I thought it was a good representation. It's hard and cold." I laughed. "And it throws rainbows in the sunlight."