Wait

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Artificial light illuminated the room and gave a deathly glow to the individual below it. Her eyes gazed upon the person, but another set of eyes watched her.

Dark blue velvet heels clicked against the old, cracked tile, which needed to be mopped for the evening. Artificial lights cast shadows across the long halls. Many mint-colored doors were passed by. A nurse in pink scrubs walked past at a brisk pace. She was checking her watch, and a smile was on her lips. Probably, she was getting off of work.

(F/n) gave her a small smile and received the gesture back, though; that smile faded quickly away. The number forty-four was coming up. That number created dread in her heart but also hope. A lengthy sigh escaped past her maroon-painted lips. She pushed a loose strand of hair behind her left ear. Maybe, tonight would be the night.

To distract herself, she slipped her left hand into her purse and removed the piece of paper. It had been a week since that man had left her his number, and she hadn't called him once. He still had come to the café and had given his usual smile to her, but she had trouble delivering her typical one back. Her nervousness probably had been painfully apparent.

Looking down at it, she furrowed her brow and pursed her lips some. She didn't know what to do with it, but she didn't desire to dispose of it. Truthfully, she needed someone to talk to, and she didn't have coworkers; she worked from home as an editor for multiple online blogs. There had been no one that she could talk to face to face and have them simply listen until he had deposited his number in that book.

He was nearly a stranger, though. They had never talked to each other before last Wednesday, but she wondered how he had seen right through her. The man always had sat behind her. Had he been observing her that entire time? A chill ran up her spine, but she wasn't sure if it was unwelcome or not. Admittedly, it had been nice to find out that someone cared enough to look past her usual front. Her fingers dropped the paper back into her bag. Maybe later, she would call him.

Stopping, her body tensed. She stood directly in front of the door. Her hand reached out and grabbed the metal handle before she pulled on it. The large wooden door opened before she closed it gently behind her. (F/n)'s quiet behavior, though, was unnecessary. He wouldn't wake ... unless things took a turn for the better.

Heels tapping against the tile, she moved over one of the questionable chairs. She set her bag down on the plastic nightstand and seated herself on the worn-out pink cushion. The chair rocked a little with her weight, but she was used to the ancient chair's behavior. Her hands smoothed out the skirt of her short, dark blue dress before she adjusted the black belt around her waist.

Gently, she wrapped her hands around the man's left hand. A pained smile crossed her lips, and her thumbs rubbed circles into his skin. His eyes remained closed, and he didn't move against her touch. Her other hand reached over and brushed back smooth locks of his sandy brown hair. She wished that she could stare upon his stunning light green orbs, but that wouldn't be a possibility until he woke up. (F/n) trailed her fingers along his face. Lightly, she chuckled at how his cheeks were somewhat chubby. They made him look adorable, though; in the past, it had made it hard at times to take him seriously.