Investigate

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop. 

Lying on the table, the phone was plugged in and charging. A call just had ended, but no smile greeted lips; however, eyes stared out ahead, curious and troubled.

A week had gone by since it had taken Edmund longer to handle the issue of the frames than he had expected. He also had his other plans for his work on top of that, so they simply had called the other during the week. Even though she hadn't seen him in person, she hadn't been down about that. Rather, her mind had kept returning to that man from the other night.

The likely answer was that he had been nothing more than stranger, who just had happened to be on the phone at the same time as Edmund and her. She had tried to ease her worry by attempting to get Edmund to mention something about his home, but the conversations conveniently had changed topics. Or, he had to hang up since work had been calling. Those factors only had caused her to become more suspicious. Something about his place of residence had to be odd.

(F/n) crossed her legs on the sofa while her arms were crossed under her chest. Her back leaned against the couch, and her eyes trained themselves on her phone. She just had ended a conversation with Edmund. He had been apologizing for not being able to meet up for the week or to help move her furniture back, but he had promised to come tomorrow.

All of her wasn't excited about his visit. She had moved her furniture back into place and had taken down all of the sheets of plastic and tape from painting since it had taken her mind off of that man for a bit earlier in the week. Now, though, she had barely anything to distract her. (F/n) had finished her work for the weekend, and television wouldn't help her with how strong the nagging of her curiosity was.

Edmund was still at work, or he had told her that at least. If he hadn't been lying and if he did live across the street, she quickly could check. The idea sinking in, she sprung to her feet and looked out her living room window. No one was walking on the sidewalk on either side of the street.

Time not being on her side, she grabbed her phone and keys before she hurried out of her door and locked it behind her. She forgot that she had her black fuzzy slippers on, but she didn't bother to head back inside and change into heels. Heels would create too much noise. Her black chiffon skirt rippled along with her fast-paced steps. (F/n) slightly regretted wearing her white blouse with chiffon sleeves since the color made her stand out in the night, but that made her increase her speed all the more.

Before hopefully anyone saw her, she entered into the apartment complex across the street. It was certainly nicer than her own, and she had heard that each room had two floors. Given the income Edmund probably collected, the added bonus fit with his paycheck. Even the entrance hall to the apartments depicted that residents had to have a decent pay wage.

Polished, dark-stained wood tables lined the hallway to the elevator and to the stairwell. Crystal vases sat atop them, and bright pink lilies bloomed within them. There were a couple of maroon leather chairs within the space, and they were seated upon the sparkling tile floor. In the center of the hall, a crystal chandelier hung and illuminated the space.

"Are you here to see someone?" (F/n) about leaped into the air. She rapidly glanced to her left and spotted a desk, matching the tables in the space. A man stood behind it, and his blue eyes were focused purely on her. "I don't recognize you." He broke his gaze with her and scanned over the desk as if he was searching for a specific note. "And, none of the residents told me that they were expecting someone today."