Unnerve

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Bubbles rose to the top of the champagne, and if one listened closely, they could hear the bubbles pop at the top. By each glass, an individual sat: one puzzled and the other infuriated.

A bright light shone on the table next to them, casting their table in shadows. Edmund's face was partially covered by those shadows as well. Some of the bangs that he pushed back earlier fell forward again, but he acted as though he wasn't bothered by them. His long fingers wrapped around the stem of the hand-blown champagne glass, and he steadily lifted the rim to his lips.

Easily, he could've snapped the glass in half from his fury towards the woman across from him, but he forced himself to be satisfied with making her highly uncomfortable. Her eyes stared down at her glass nervously, and her long nails tapped the base of it. When she glanced up to him, he was lowering it down on the table. "How had you known Reginald?" The question was casual enough, but he heard the hesitation she was holding back. There was a fraction of determination in her tone too, however, as though she suspected his actual claim for being at the reception.

Edmund crossed his legs and sat up a little straighter on the dark oak chair. "I had met him at a bakery in town." Her brow furrowed, and she sipped at her drink. His right fingers moved onto the oak table and tapped against them. Each strike carried anger, but she wouldn't notice that. She wasn't that observant, or she would've seen him around the hospital when (f/n) had been there. If she had viewed him there, she would comprehend that he wasn't at the reception dinner for Reginald at all.

"Bakery?" She set down her glass confused. He had trouble restraining a dark, knowing chuckle. "He never had gone to bakeries unless ..." Gina paused, and she bit her bottom lip. Almost, she had let her secret slip, but it wasn't a secret to him.

"At the time, he had been there with a woman." Edmund had trouble not complimenting (f/n), but he couldn't give himself away yet. No, the nurse had to squirm first.

"What had happened?" Her right index finger ran along the base of the glass, and her nail occasionally hit the glass. The woman's brown orbs were dominated by fear, but she was trying to hide it behind an expression bearing curiosity.

"The bakery only had accepted cash, and he only had a credit card." For a moment, he recalled the outfit upon (f/n)'s gorgeous form and how it had complimented her so well. When he had first seen (f/n) with that man, he knew that they weren't meant to be a pair. That man hadn't appreciated her beauty and charm at all.

Lifting his glass to his lips, he took a sip before he set it back down. "I had loaned him the money to pay for his order since it already had been made. There was a brief conversation after that. An exchange of thanks and such. After that, I got to know him better."

"And, the woman?"

A pretend appearance of curiosity covered his countenance. "Why are you interested in her?" His eyes scanned over the restaurant and the guests. "In fact, I don't see her here now." Edmund had difficulty keeping the venom out of his tone. "Was or is there a problem with her?" Gina attempted to hide a gulp, but it didn't go unnoticed by him. Her eyes shifted to her left and down towards a cloth napkin on the table. Moving her fingers over to it, she began to rub the fabric between her fingers like the action would transport her somewhere else.