5. | I'm Going to be Completely Honest

When I finally got back to my room I collapsed on the floor, exhausted. This job was really taking a toll on me. I was constantly fighting my growing feelings for the curly haired boy I was always with, as well as trying to rid myself of my ex-boyfriend, all while trying to write a story that had to be good enough to land me a permanent job at Illusion Magazine. 

I was about to fall asleep, right there on the floor when my phone began to ring. I groaned and picked it up. "Hello?" I asked in a tired voice. "Hello, Chloe! I hope I'm not interrupting anything. Just wanted to check in, since I haven't heard anything from you. Are you enjoying the assignment?" Jessie's voice rang through the phone. Jessie, AKA my current boss who handed this project over to me on my very first day as an intern. And here I was, lying on the floor, certainly not doing the job I was supposed to be doing. 

"Jessie! Hi!" I said, suddenly springing to life. I may be tired, but there's no time for that when my job is involved. "I'm really enjoying the assignment, actually. It's really eye-opening and a good way to experience reporting and my future in journalism," I said brightly, fighting the fact that I wanted to quit right there on the spot. "Well, that's just perfect to hear! I can't wait to read the story. It's going to be gold, and will set us apart from every other magazine out there. I'm wishing you all the luck!" she said cheerily, and I frowned, happy she couldn't see it.

"Call me if you have any questions! Oh, and I saw some pictures of you and Harry getting pretty close at his charity gala dinner. I guess I'm kind of obligated to remind you that there is a strict reporter-celebrity clause in our company which states that any reporter conducting a story on a celebrity cannot sustain a romantic relationship with them because it would create a conflict of interest on the article they're writing. Just wanted to let you know! Okay, I'll be going now! Bye!" she said cheerily, and I hung up the phone. 

Tears welled in my eyes. See, I already knew I had zero chance with him. He was Harry Styles, former One Direction heartthrob, Gucci king, and international pop/rock star. I was Chloe Green, journalist in training. What did I have up on any other girl he's dated? Absolutely nothing, that's what. And now, Jessie has just confirmed that for me. 

Suddenly there was a knock at my door. My eyes widened. There would only be one person knocking on my door at this point. "Chloe? Can I come in? It's Harry," he said, and I dug my face into the floor. This can't be happening. I slowly got up and walked over to the door. I opened it up and saw his concerned face studying mine. "I just wanted to make sure you got here okay. I was really worried after you took off before," he said. 

"I'm fine, but thanks for checking in on me," I said, forcing a smile. There was a long pause of silence that fell among us before Harry spoke up. "Are you sure you're okay? You know, with everything you're going through. Do you want to talk?" he said, his accent sounding angelic and calming. I so badly wanted to say yes, but the guilt was eating me up inside. I was probably pathetic to him. 

"I don't know. I think I just need some more time to think," I said, trying to avoid his eyes. Harry nodded his head and pushed past me, walking into the room. I widened my eyes and shook my head. "What the hell, Harry?" I said, closing the door so no one could see him sitting on the bed in my hotel room. He shrugged. "I've seen so many girls try and tell me they're okay, and that they don't need to talk. But, they always need to have someone there for them, whether or not they want to admit that to themselves," he said, looking up towards me. "So, here I am." 

I walked over to the window and watched the traffic driving on the street below. I sighed. "You need to go, Harry," I forced out. "And why is that? Why do I always have to leave you alone?" he asked, staring at me. "Because, I'm not what you want, or what you need. I just happen to be here, right now, at this time in your life. I'm not worthy of your attention all the time like this, and I'm certainly not willing to risk my job over it," I said, feeling my heart break at my own words.