34. | Get It Together

My birthday was fast approaching, and things had not been great lately. Harry's been extremely busy working on his music, and I had just been promoted at work so I was there a lot more and we hadn't seen much of each other.

Constant apologies were starting to scare me. They seemed empty and redundant. There wasn't a point to him saying sorry for cancelling a date, or me for saying sorry when I had to work late and couldn't hang out with him. We were trying, but it just wasn't working.

Ryan had stopped trying to get to me through Hayley, and finally admitted defeat, moving back to New York, infuriating my father in the process.

Hayley had landed a role on a television show, and I barely saw her now days. She was very busy as well, and I felt a bit neglected by everyone. My birthday was shaping up to be an utter flop.

The last I heard, Harry was taking me somewhere for my birthday, but I hadn't seen him in over a week, and at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he broke up with me any day now. We'd been together for awhile, officially. Almost five months now, and at first it was perfect, but now, it was more of a burden than it was a joy. And the last time I checked, that shouldn't be the case.

I feel like getting involved with a celebrity had been a mistake from the start. I should never have applied for that internship. If I hadn't, I would be living a peaceful life right now. Then again, it would be a boring life, but it would still be peaceful.

"Chloe, I'm going to set. I'll see you tonight, right?" Hayley said, walking past me. "See me tonight? What's tonight?" I looked over to her. "Our girls night, remember? You're leaving soon." Hayley said, and I sighed. "No, I'm not. I haven't seen Harry in a week. I think our relationship is over. We're not going anywhere. Don't worry." I said, and Hayley's face softened.

"Chloe, don't say that." Hayley said. I shrugged. "Last I heard he wasn't planning on doing anything next week anyway. I should just cut my losses, drive over there right now, and end things. It would make it better for both of us." I said, finally admitting defeat. Hayley's eyes flickered with sadness. "He still wants to take you somewhere. Don't break up with him, Chloe. You'll regret it forever." Hayley warned me.

I looked at her and then down at my feet. I grabbed my car keys and walked out the door.

____________

I stood there waiting for him to open the door, and I felt sick inside. The door swung open and Harry had a surprised look on his face.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He asked, and I looked at him knowingly before brushing him aside and walking in. I sighed as I turned to face him.

"I'm miserable, Harry." I said and he nodded, like he was expecting it. "I know you are. I'm so sorry, Chloe. I don't want you to be miserable, you have to believe me." Harry pleaded, and I already felt guilty. "Harry, I don't know if I can do this anymore. We're not working." I breathed out, watching sadness take over his face.

"I love you, Chloe. I don't want to break up." Harry reasoned. "I don't want to break up either, but look at us. Are you happy, Harry? And be honest." I raised my eyebrows at him. "No, but I know I can be. We both need to focus on each other as much as our jobs. I'm confident we can do that." Harry said, holding my hand in his.

"Chloe, do you love me?" He asked, and I nodded. "I do."

"Then let's promise each other to try and start over, and go back to the way things were when we first started dating. If it ends up awful again, then we call it quits. But it could very well be amazing, and I don't want to miss out on that." Harry's eyes were pleading, and it felt like he wanted this bad, maybe even more than me.