six.

"Family isn't always blood. It's the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what."
ANONYMOUS

the five Socs approached Johnny who quickly flipped out his switchblade.
he had never been so frightened in his life.
suddenly, the whole gang appeared in the blink of an eye.
Steve tackled Mark to the ground and started punching him while Darry and Two beat the living tar out of Bob and Randy.
the other two Socs hurried to the car while Soda, Pony, and Dal ran over to Georgia and Johnny.
"she's gonna bleed to death if we don't get her to the hospital. Now." Soda's voice was low and serious.
the other three nodded and Dal wrapped Johnny's jacket firmly around her head.
they explained what happened to everyone and Steve carried her on his back while sprinting to Darry's truck.
they drove like mad to the hospital— keep in mind it was 4AM on a Saturday night.

the gash on her head kept bleeding and she was rushed in on a stretcher.
Steve and Pony fought back tears while Soda and Johnny paced in the waiting room.
Dal cursed under his breath and Two and Darry were talking to the front desk about what had happened.
it was crazy had they all just met this girl that day and loved her as their own.
Soda felt wrong for the way he felt sparkles around her that were different from the ones he felt with Sandy.
Johnny felt wrong because he had never felt these feelings for anyone.
and Pony?
Pony didn't know it was possible for a person to be so beautiful and badass at the same time!
eventually, a tear escaped Pony's eye.
"Randle?" a doctor called after opening the door to the waiting room.
Steve stood up immediately.
"that's me sir." he approached the doctor who looked oddly at the group of greasers.
"we need to talk in private." he said in a serious tone.

she must be dead.
thought Johnny and Pony.
Two was relying on alcohol to calm his nerves while Soda waited for Steve to come back.
suddenly, Steve walked out and the gang stood up.
"she's got a concussion, but she's been mumbling some crazy stuff about one of y'all being her boyfriend. doc said she might remember things differently and not even remember some things, and that the stuff she don't remember ain't coming back." Steve sighed and the gang looked down.
what would she not remember?
it's not like it was a lifetime of memories, though.
"there's something else, though." Steve's tone became more seriousness and Pony and Darry looked at each other with fright in their eyes.
"the doctor also said that if she suffers one more terrible head injury like this one it could be her last." he sighed and Soda burst in to tears.
that was when they knew it was really serious.
Soda never cries.
"now let's go see her, two at a time. but really one since i wanna be in there with her the whole time." Steve spoke and they all nodded.
Pony walked in first.
"hey pretty girl." he whispered.
she smiled and looked dazed.
"you sure are pretty. what's your name?"