Chapter 36

A slapstick?

Blythe's face paled and lost the colour which can be noticed even under the dim lights of candles. What was she supposed to do when the Lord has ordered her to perform a comedy for them?

Lord Knight without a care wrapped his hands around Ella who was still sitting on his lap and started to nuzzle her soft red hair which was glowing like wild fire.

"I will give you few moments to think about your performance, Miss Garrick. Start preparing." Lord Knight announced making tears swirl in Blythe's eyes.

Ella, on the other side, was feeling awkward and sorry for Blythe who was having a hard time. She could neither get out of her husband's lap nor could talk out of him about Blythe. The eyes which were glaring at her just few moments ago were now drooped down with tears and fear.

Though Ella was grateful of Xander for giving her a modest life, she was still apprehensive to share her thoughts with him regarding anything that was related to staff or empire. She feels she has neither right nor any experience in giving an advice or word of thought. She was basically a no one until few days ago and everything she ever knew about was her town and her cabin.

Ella couldn't understand if the entertainment that her husband was seeking from Blythe was an everyday aristocratic culture or was it his way of having fun. She want to save Blythe's face from the humiliation but she has no power right then. Though she was a Lady of Honor and wife to the great Lord Knight, she cannot talk against her new husband.

"Here." She heard her husband whisper and looked up to see him bring the spoon full of food to her lips. "Here, I am going to feed my wife today." He smiled down at her affectionately which created butterfly tingles in Ella's stomach.

Ella opened her lips and took the food which her husband was offering so lovingly. She couldn't take her eyes off from his. His eyes were filled with so much adoration for her that she did not know how he could like a person whom he met just few days ago so much.

Her smile was contagious and the Lord could not help but grin at her. He loved those small moments with his wife which he missed out for the past five years.

"Aren't you going to feed me? I am hurt now." Her Xander smiled at her mischievously which only caused Ella to giggle at the playful Lord she was now coming to love.

Ella took the spoon from his hand and scooped a spoonful of chicken and cabbage and brought it to the Lord's lips.

"I do not have whole night to spare for your performance, Miss Garrick. Start amusing us. Now!" Lord's voice turned frightening but immediately like a person of two different identities, he smiled down at his wife and ate the food she was giving her.

"You are a great cook, love." He complimented, kissing her hands.

"I thought you would be angry for entering your kitchen without permission." She smiled yet there was a little hesitation clear in the way she bit her lower lip.

"You need no permission here, Ella. Listen carefully and understand it when I say you are the only person who has the most power here in the castle. Even I have to comply with you when it comes to the castle affairs." Ella couldn't believe her luck when she heard her husband.

The rumors she heard about the Lord being a ruthless dangerous person is nowhere near the reality. The Lord she knows was nothing but kind and loving to her and others. She noticed several times how the staff in the castle adores and respects him genuinely.

"Is it so?" She asked and once again bit her lower lip in uncertainty."Then – can I ask you something?" The Lord nodded his head encouraging eagerly to give whatever his wife was about to ask him, no matter how hard it is.