31

Lucas' POV

It's been two months. Two months since she left me, and two months since I haven't been myself.

That morning after she left, she left with my heart. I wasn't the same me ever since. My dad had convinced me that maybe she had something going on that she couldn't tell me, but her letter said otherwise. The letter she left behind said that she wouldn't come back. That she wanted me to be happy.

And that she's sorry.

I was mad, I really was. She didn't tell me anything. What, she thought that one piece of paper could make me forgive her? She thought this was some kind of a romance movie? She thought she could just left me like how my mother did and apologize and then everything would be okay?

Well, she thought wrong.

She should've just stayed by my side. Just like that, and we would be okay. Her leaving me like this is worse than seeing her in a hospital bed, dying. At least if I see her like that, I would know that she didn't leave on her own will.

After a week of bad days at the office, my dad told me to clear my mind. He told me to go on a vacation and let him handle the company. And I did just that. I went away to our family's private island to ease my mind.

I wanted to search for her, I really did, but I told myself not to. I wanted her to come to me. I wanted her to explain to me why she did what she did. I wanted her to come to me herself.

I know, maybe I'm a little childish for doing this, but, some things could never change. It's like that time when my mother left me. I didn't search for her because I wanted her to come to me herself and tell me the reason behind her disappearance. Was I not enough? Was I not a good boy? Why didn't she want me?

I sighed.

"What's on your mind?" A voice behind me asked. I turned around and saw one of my cousins, Brant. He's a 6 ft 0 inch dude who's older than me by two years. He took a seat beside me while I drank my orange juice.

Orange juice is just my favourite drink.

"Enjoying the sunset?" He asked again. I just nodded.

"Come on bro, you've been quiet since the day you came here. If you have any problems, I'm all ears, y'know?"

I put my drink down on a small table beside me. The table is in between Brant and I. I glanced over at him and saw him already staring at me with raised eyebrows. I sighed once again and told him everything. About how Victoria left me and how she made me feel.

After I was done, he nodded understandingly and smirked, "So you love her, huh?"

I drew my brows together, "I wouldn't say that.." I trailed off.

"Really? But by the things you just told me, I'm pretty sure that you're just in a love sickness."

I looked at him confusedly. He shook his head at me and continued, "You reminded me of the past me. When Lauren left me for her studies in Boston." Lauren is his fiancé whom he's going to marry next month. "I also had mixed feelings like yours. I was mad, even furious, and then somehow I felt sad and longing." He nodded to himself as if he just confirmed something.

That reminds me, there was a time where he came to my house late at night with his drunkard self. I let him in of course, and then out of nowhere he just decided to tell me all about his sad love story. I never understood it. First he told me how he was angry and all but then the next second he suddenly stood up and told me that he's going to lash out his anger towards his girlfriend (now fiancé).

"Oh ya, what happened in Boston?" I asked, genuinely curious.

He stared into spaces for a moment before he chuckled, "We had a fight. One of her neighbors saw it. Then he called the police because he thought I was using violence when all we did were just yelling at each other's faces."

He looked at me to see my response, but when he saw me still doing my poker face, he understood it instantly and continued, "Well, the police came and they arrested me." Wait, what the hell? "And then she bailed me out." Okay... "And now here we are, a husband and wife to be."

Well that was easy. I chuckled a bit before patting my hand on his shoulder, "Well, aren't you a one lucky dude."

"Yeah, I guess I just thought too much about the whole situation. I thought she wanted to leave me when all she did was just avoiding me because she was too shy to response to my proposal. And to study, obviously."

Why did she has to be shy?

Not caring enough to ask the question out loud, I just nodded in response. It was silent for a moment before he spoke up once again, "This..Victoria girl, are you sure she left you out of sympathy? In my opinion, based on your story, I guess she's just afraid."

I frowned, "Afraid?"

"Well y'know, afraid of saying goodbye and all that stuff. Or maybe she was being forced to leave. Maybe she didn't leave on her own will. Like those in movies." He said casually.

I didn't think of that. After reading the letter, there was just one thing in my head: that she left me so I don't have to see her die or so she doesn't have to see me cry or something of that sort. I didn't even think of the possibility that she was actually being forced or something like that.

But what was it that made her left?

I guess the only way to know the answer to this question is by asking the girl herself.