44

I don't know anything about love.

I don't exactly know the way it feels. I don't exactly know what makes you think you love that person with all your heart. I don't exactly know why you think you need to live the rest of your life with someone who used to be a stranger to you.

But what I do know is that I can't live without a girl who's name is Victoria. I'd be damned if anything ever happens to her. I don't think I'll ever get the chance to move on if she ever leaves me.

And that's why, I'm praying so hard at the moment. For her to make it. For her to fight. For her to survive this battle. So that she would stay. So that she wouldn't leave me.

I've never felt this way with any other girl that has came into my way before. That's why I know she is special. That's how I know I love her. So much.

I paced around the room with sweat all over my body even though the air conditioner is turned on. I can't stay still. I feel so anxious and troubled. Everything around me is muffled, it's like I'm the only person in this hall.

All of a sudden I felt someone touched my shoulder from behind me. "Son." Caleb called me, making me snapped out of my daze. I turned around to look at him and he offered me a smile.

"Come sit with us." I could only nod. He took me by the hand and pulled me with him towards Mikayla and Jackson who are sitting on the joined seating chairs. We sat down and I stared into spaces.

"She'll make it." Mikayla spoke out, successfully getting my attention. I looked at her questionably.

"How do you know?" I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders, "She is a strong girl."

From the corner of my eyes, I could see Jackson sigh. I turned my attention back to Mikayla. "She is." I agreed with her. A sudden glimpse of hope made its way to my heart. Maybe she's right. Maybe my love will make it.

After what felt like forever of me sitting on the same spot, the door to the operation room slid open automatically.  The doctors came out and Caleb, Mikayla, Cara, Brian and I went towards them. All with hopes. Jackson sat still in his place, not even looking at the direction of the doctors.

We didn't ask anything, our faces have done it for us. The doctor who stood in front of all the others stared at us with a straight face. I guess he's the leader. My Adam's apple bopped up and down, waiting for him to speak up.

After a moment, he sighed and looked downward. He then said those two words, which made my life turned to a complete 359 degrees.

***

It's been a month.

Ever since that day, I've drowned myself with nothing but work. The dark circles around my eyes proved that. I don't sleep, but even if I do, it will only last for three hours as its maximum. I eat once a day. Some days I eat a cup of instant noodles and the other days I eat two pieces of bread.

I was typing harshly on my computer when someone knocked on the door to my office. I sighed. "Come in." I said coldly.

The door swung open revealing my personal assistant, Mike. "Sir, Mr. Daugherty is here to see you."

"I am in no mood to see anybody right now." I said, my eyes stuck on the computer's screen.

"But sir, he said it's urgent."

I took a deep breath before I started to shout, "I SAID I'M NOT IN THE FUCKING MOO–"

I got cut off by a voice. "Whoa! There buddy, no need to yell at the poor guy." Brant walked in casually and sat on the couch which is in front of my desk. He put the back of his knee on his other knee and leaned more into it. He smiled sweetly at me while I continued to glare at him.

"Thank you Mike, you may go now." He said to Mike, making him nod stiffly and walked out, not forgetting to close the door behind him.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing?" I questioned him.

"Seeing my brother after a long time. Don't you miss me?" He said, batting his eyelashes which made me gag internally.

I decided to ignore him and continued to do my work. He kept saying things like the sky is pretty and the day is sunny and cozy. Then he stood up and walked towards my desk. He began to look at my stuff. He took an important file which is supposed to be private as it contains the company's future plans. That got my attention. He was about to open it but thanks to my fast reaction, I got to snatch it from him before he could see anything inside.

He chuckled, "You finally look at me."

I leaned more towards my chair. "You know, if you're here to convince me then you can go out now."

He sighed. "Lucas, it's been a month. You need to move on."

"I know what I'm doing."

He rolled his eyes, "Sure you do. As if drowning yourself into work could make you feel any better." He mocked, making me squint my eyes at him. "Look, let's go get some fresh air. How about we go to the beach? The beach is fun." I shook my head slowly. "Okay then maybe we can go to a club. Club is fun too."

"Stop it Brant. I'm not in the mood for any of that."

"You are not in the mood of anything." He said exasperatedly.

"Oh, so you know. I guess you can be on your way now." I pointed my hand at the door while still looking at him with raised eyebrows.

He shook his head, frowning. Then he walked towards the door, but before he stepped out of it, he turned to me one last time and said, "You can't be like this forever. Sooner or later, you need to move on."

I nodded my head once just to assure him. He smiled at me encouragingly and with that, he left me alone with my heavy thoughts.

I miss you baby. Please tell me that all of this is only a bad dream.

.
.
.

The end.

The next chapter will be the epilogue xx