Chapter 6- bonfire

The air was humid when we left the house, and I was glad I had opted for the short shorts and tank top. Jeans would have been unbearable. We could hear the music before we even reached the woods. The loud techno beat bumping through the trees. 

"What are you going to do if Alarik comes?" Cassie asked. 

"Ignore him. I'm here to have a good time."

I picked up one of the cups as soon as we joined with the group that had already started forming. Everyone gathered around a tall stack of wood. I could smell the gasoline rising off the logs and we watched as a shirtless guy walked toward the pile with a torch. The sun had started to set and it was now time for the fire to start.

He stuck the burning stick in and the pile wooshed up in flames. Everyone cheered and started dancing. Cassie nudged me and I followed her over to a small group of guys. 

"This is Tyler, Tim, and Ben," she said pointing at each one. "They're old friends from my other pack."

I nodded as I watched Tyler give me the eye elevator. I saw him smile in approval. I rolled my eyes, and downed the rest of my drink. I could tell I was going to need more if I was going to be putting up with him all night. 

"Well, are we going to dance or what?" I asked walking back toward the fire. I filled my glass back up and started dancing with the crowd. 

Cassie shrugged and dragged the three guys with her. Tyler had turned out to not be as obnoxious as I had originally thought. I had gone through my second drink when I came back Cassie looked over my shoulder. 

"Uh-oh. It's Alarik and the God Squad," she said referring to Alarik's merry band of Council heirs. 

"And I said I was going to ignore him," I replied, sipping my drink. 

"Well I'm not sure that's possible. He's headed this way." 

I felt a hand snake around my waist, leaving a red-hot feeling that I wanted to lean into. His voice low in my ear. 

"Come with me." 

I turned around and looked into his eyes. "No."

"But I need to ask you something."

"Well then you should starting by asking me to go with you." 

A growl rumbled in his chest and it cause the hair on the back of my neck to rise. 

"Will you come with me?" He asked, his jaw tightly clenched. 

I took another big swig of my drink, liquid courage, and handed the cup to Cassie. "Fine."

I saw girls staring after me as I left with him, some were jealous, some were plain pissed, and some looked sympathetic. 

When he finally stopped the light was just barely reaching us. The fire flickering off of him, his features accentuated in the harsh light and shadow. 

It should seriously be illegal for someone to look as good as he did in that moment. 

"Ask away," I said crossing my arms.

"Allison. I was wondering-" he paused for a moment.

"Wondering what?"

"I know you don't want to reject me, at least not yet. But instead of pushing me away, could you just give me a chance?"

The question shocked me to say the least. I never expected Alarik to be one to ask something like that. He was an Alpha, he was usually all take no questions. 

"You've done so much in the past," I said to him. "There's a lot I can't forgive you for."

"You're judging me based on my past?"

"It's the only thing I can judge you on. I don't know your future."

"What about my present?"

"A testy Alpha to be who can't stand being told no?" I said with my hand on my hip. 

He put his hands on my waist sending a tingling sensation through my body. 

"A chance?"

In the moment, I stood on my tiptoes, and placed a hand on his chest, which turned out to be a mistake. I wanted to rip the shirt off him and I didn't understand why. Well, I knew why, I just didn't know why it had to be happening with him. 

I could feel his heart beating under my palm, the way it raced. He did feel the same way. Somehow it had been enough to cause a small shift. He actually asked her for a chance. Could I give it to him?

I wondered if I could do it, be around him on a regular basis, see what he was like now. I had heard the stories about him, the things he had done in the name of our pack and for his father. 

"I can try," I whispered before stepping back again. He looked slightly disappointed at the distance between us. 

"And I suppose you can start tonight," I said with a sly smile. What in the world did I just say? Did I really tell him he could dance with me? I wanted to smack myself, but there was no taking it back now. 

Alarik rose an eyebrow at me and I wanted to smack that look off his face. 

"Unless you're going to stay here all night," I added as I walked back, taking my drink out of Cassie's hand.

I knew he was watching me walk away. I was partly annoyed by it, and yet, partly satisfied. When Alarik came up, he stood by awkwardly. 

Cassie glanced sidways at Alarik shocked that he was with them. 

"What are your friends going to think if they see you over here with us?" She asked. 

"I'll tell them to shut up."

Cassie just nodded and turned to face me, shooting me a weird look."

'Long story' I mouthed to her. It really wasn't all that long, but I didn't feel like going into it. 

We actually had a good time, after the awkward phase passed. The poor boy was out of his territory so to speak. He had no idea what to do. 

I laughed at the way he stood around us, not knowing what to do. My hands had been wanting to touch him ever since they had rested on his chest, and I used the momet as my excuse to do just that. 

I laced my fingers through his and pulled him closer, dancing with him to the music that was playing. Sparks flew between us making me never want to let him go. 

In that moment he wasn't the son to the Alpha, we weren't from completely different worlds, and he wasn't an ass. We were just some kids out having fun with the rest of the teenagers. It was easy to forget everything. 

If only it were that easy all the time. 

******

A bit of a shift in the way Allison thinks. What do you think about that? Leave your comments below and if you liked the chapter, please give it a vote! Thank you!!