Chapter 20- Right One

—Alarik—

I hadn't believed her. Why would Allison still give me a shot after what I had done to her, after everything I had told her? I had been honest though, I had no intention in saying yes to marrying Hazel. We I would just have to convince my father that there was a better way to join our two packs. There had to be something better than this. 

I didn't know what to say at the time. What was I supposed to say to her? Nothing seemed sufficient enough. I had left a note with the front office, telling them I had left to deal with some internal pack affairs. There was no way I could wait to tell my father this wedding wasn't going to happen any time soon. 

When I pulled up into my driveway, Alpha O'Brian's car was still there. 

"Great," I mumbled to myself as I got out of my car. I trudged up the steps and straight inside. 

"Alarik, is that you?" My father called out from his office. 

"Yes, Sir." 

I made my way down the hall and into the office, thankfully Hazel was no where to be seen. It was just her father, and mine. I hoped that would make this easier. 

"I need to talk to you," I said to my dad as I stepped into his office. 

"You've finally decided what you need to do?" He asked me. 

"Actually, yes." I looked to Alpha O'Brian hoping he would decide on his own to leave the room. I couldn't ask him to leave, but I also didn't want to say anything in front of him. It was something I preferred to say to my father alone. 

"Go ahead, son," Alpha O'Brian said. I cringed at the word. I knew what he meant with it, but I still couldn't help but think of the implications behind it. 

"I'm not marrying Hazel." 

My father's eyes narrowed slightly before he turned toward Alpha O'Brian. "Would you please excuse us?"

I watched as Alpha O'Brian frowned slightly before rising from his chair and leaving the office, closing the door behind him. I stood in silence, letting my father be the first to speak. 

"I'm not sure you understand what we're trying to do here, Alarik." My father's eyes locked on me, watching every slight move I made. 

"Actually I do father, but this can't be the only way to go about it."

"Why don't you want to marry Hazel? You need someone who can be your equal, if not her, then who? Who could possibly measure up?"

"I don't need a woman who is set to take over her own pack. I need a Luna, not a co-Alpha."

"And what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to marry a plain girl," I said with a slight smile. 

"Excuse me?" 

"You heard me, I'm not marrying Hazel, I don't want to marry her. I want to marry the right girl and she's not the one."

"And who do you think is the right one?" My father asked with a condescending tone. 

 "Allison Cole," I said simply. 

"Allison Cole? Really? You think you will end up with her? I may not know much about her son, but when she was here the other day, it wasn't hard to see how much she disliked you."

"Well father, we're mates."

And that was when he burst into laughter. Anger flared up in me as he wheezed, gasping for breath between the barking sounds. If he wasn't my father and he wasn't the Alpha, there's a good chance I would have gone off on him. 

No one thought I could do it, no one thought I could be a mate. No one even included myself. 

"Son, you should just cut your losses, she will never come your way. Marry Hazel instead. She's already willing for marriage and think of the things you could accomplish together when you both step up."

"This isn't just something I can cut my losses with. This isn't just something I can walk away from, dad."

"You never stuck around with the same girl before, what makes her any different?"

How was I supposed to tell him that she was different because she was my mate? He didn't understand that, he never found a mate. He instead had to hand select a Luna. It had completely ruined his views on mates, and truth be told, it had turned me away from the idea as well. 

That was until Allison had gone to that club. 

"You don't get it dad, you never will."

"Who are you to tell me what I will and won't get?" He asked angrily. 

"You don't understand the pull of a mate, father, you don't understand the feeling. Sure Hazel and I would be able to do great things together, but Allison and I can as well. We don't need a marriage in order to ease tension between these two packs. It's not the only way, and I would just like you to respect my wishes."

I could see the vein popping out on my father's forehead. He was clearly upset with what I was saying. I had probably overstepped my bounds with some of my words, but I didn't feel sorry for them in that moment. I wasn't going to be with Hazel, I was going to have Allison. She was mine and I was going to have her. 

I wasn't going to back down on this topic. If it meant my father was going to get pissed, then so be it. 

"You two just need to come up with another solution, a treaty of some sort, at least a tempory one for the time being. We can figure out a more permanent solution at some other point, but marriage isn't going to work father."

I couldn't stay there any longer, it wasn't like there was anything there for me anyway. It they accepted my refusal, they wouldn't have me in the meeting with them to decide on different solution. It wasn't my place to be behind those locked doors, not yet. 

I just needed some time to get out and be free. I slipped into the woods and let myself free, shifting into my wolf before taking off for a run. 

***************

So there we have it. Alarik finall told his father and stood up for Allison. But what do you think about all of it? 

Leave your Comments below, and don't forget to Vote and Fan. Thanks :D