Chapter twelve

John......
I know it was wrong to follow her.  But I just had to. It was like she was going through a lot and carrying way more than she could handle. I deserve to know a little right? It probably would be  better heard from her. "This is stupid, I'm going in and over my head."
"What was that John?" Roland asked.
"Oh uh nothing" I said realising I spoke out loud.
"So are you going in or?" Roland began unsure.
"No I'm not I just, just wanted to know a bit of what she's hiding"
"so you're stalking her"
"what? I'm not stalking her"
"why are you whispering? You know she can't here us from inside" Roland said smiling sheepishly.

"What I'm not-oh... Uh" I cleared my throat.
"Okay fine I'm speaking loud and clear, you happy?" I said raising my brows.
"Get down someone's coming"
whispering, I bent down alarmed.
"You do know that the windows are tainted right?" Roland said to me, I could see him suppressing laughter.
"What.....of course I know. Nope I totally forgot."
"Your still whispering John"
"shush" I said placing a finger on my lips. Looking at the figure coming out of the apartment, I recognized the figure as Luke.
"That's Luke" I told Roland. After seeing Luke's car leave the drive way I began
"Okay uhh let's go"
"so your not going in?" Roland asked.
"What no, I just wanted to be sure she was okay. And well I guess Luke wanted to see her or something."
"Or ask her to get ready for another job"
"what no, no, she has two weeks off, this week and the next"
"you don't know that she prob-"
"she's not going for another job Roland."
Hearing myself, I realized that I wasn't only saying what I wanted to believe but I couldn't deny the hurt, as I thought of the possibility.
"At least, I hope not" I said letting out a sigh.
"Okay let's go." I said after a few seconds.

"Wait" I grabbed Roland's hand on the steering wheels, then I  let go.
"I'm gonna call her"
"are you sure John?"
"yeah I'm, just a sec" I pulled out my phone contemplating on calling. I took a deep breath. I pressed call and my heart started racing as the dial tone went off.
"uh hello? " Mary said.
"Hi! Mary, it's John-"
"you're shouting do you mind lowering your voice" Roland said whispering.
I waved my hand to shut him up.
"John? "
"Yes uh, sorry was a little distracted....just wanted to make sure that you're okay that's-that's all" I could hear Roland laugh at my stutter but I chose to ignore.
"yeah I'm fine, thanks" she said.
"okay we'll uh...you sure? "
"yeah I'm, I'm good"
"Okay we'll...good night"
"good night John. Thanks for checking."
"It's fine, good night Mary"
"Good night, wait John?"
"Yeah? "
"Thank you, really, for everything."
"It's fine Mary."
"Okay, good night"
"good night"
she ended the call and Roland let out a loud bray of laughter.
"I haven't heard you laugh this loud in almost, forever" I said shocked .
"oh, John, I haven't seen you this nervous since you were ten!" Roland said trying to control his laugh.
"what? You know what we're not having this conversation, let's go"
"you can't deny it-"
"let's go"
"okay, okay" Roland raised his hands in surrender.
I shook my head as I smiled, its good to see him get more comfortable and less formal with me.

                               •~•~•~•
Mary.......
Gosh, what if John called while Luke was here! I don't want to even imagine......well he didn't call when Luke was here so yeah that's, that's good. Its nice he called though. I would totally love to see him again.....no! This can't work remember?
Because of one person, I can't get the chance to have a normal life. Well Luke just confirms the devils existence.
I don't know if it's right to say that. I'm just tired.

I woke up the next morning to my phone buzzing. The ringing tone was getting annoying, I just decided to put it on vibrate. If it was John calling I'd totally recognize the number.
"Hello? "
"Hi Mary,  it's Marilyn"
"I hi good morning"
"morning, sorry I hope I didn't wake you up, you sound-"
"No it's fine. "
"okay, I just wanted to know if you'd have time later in the day we wanted to have a rehearsal, everything's set up so we just wanted to make sure that the singing was, good? Uh-"
"yeah it's fine I'll see you. What time?"
"Do you mind coming 11o'clock?"
"yeah it's okay"
"Thank you again, Mary"
"it's fine, see you at eleven "
"bye."