Chapter nineteen

A/N So sorry it took a while before I published. Thank you so much for your patience.❤

Mary....

Finally we got out of the traffic. Like that was supposed to make me feel any better.

Suddenly, Marcus stepped on the gas and the car began to move frantically. I turned back to see if a cop was following us, but none.
As Marcus kept driving, he abruptly turned to an alley.
"What are you doing?" Luke asked confused.
"You wanted a short cut you'll get a short cut." Marcus replied.
"I didn't asked for a short cut!" Luke said, anger steering up.
Marcus ignored him. I watched in fear as Luke pulled out a gun from his jacket and pointed it at Marcus.
"Stop the car or I'm going to blow your head off! "
Marcus kept driving. The car kept moving with celerity and I panicked, confused at Marcus' outrageous driving. If he had anything to sort out with Luke, I didn't have to be part of it!

Huge guy then grabbed Marcus by the neck with his arm, while Luke kept yelling at him to stop the car.
"If this is about your pay man, we can work it out! Stop the car!" Luke yelled. It's about time the people who worked for him came at him. To be honest, Marcus is a diligent driver, he should be paid well. I thought to myself. Focus your life is at stake Mary! Hasn't it always been though?

Marcus began chocking and he started hitting Huge guy's arm.
I felt the need to do something.
I started pulling Huge guy away from Marcus but he didn't budge.
"let him go, we could all die! " I cried out.
Jock grabbed me, pulling me away and covering my mouth.

I tried to wiggle out but he kept holding me firm. Then, the car came to an abrupt stop as we crashed into an electric pole.
I heard Luke grunt and open the car door. Jock followed, stumbling as he fell on the ground. Huge guy opened the door to his side, pushing it wider and using it for support as he goes out.

I sat regretting why I didn't try to wear a seat belt. My mind trying to recuperate, I let out a loud sigh. I sallowed the lump in my throat as I gathered the strength to push myself out.
I saw Marcus crawl out grunting in pain.
I crawled out trying to look for a sharp object to cut the rope.
As I was looking, I saw Luke raise his gun, aimed at Marcus.

"Marcus!" I yelled. My body still shocked from the impact of the crash.
"You don't have to kill him," I said to Luke. Luke looked at me with disdain and turned the gun to me. I froze looking up at him.
"You know I've had enough of you kid. I should have gotten rid of you from the very beginning!" Am I really gonna die like this? My thoughts kept spinning. How would I even get out of this?
"Luke you don't have to-"
"Step any closer and I'll shoot her!" Luke barked at Marcus.
"After everything I've done for you kid, Everything!"
"All you've ever done is ruin my life!" I cried. Tears start to cloud my eyes as I stare at Luke.
He scoffed. "Well, why don't you say hi to daddy-"

"Your under arrest Martin Jarius." I turned and saw Marcus holding an FBI badge.
"Marcus?" Jock asked shocked.
A lot of questions where swirling in my mind. Martin? Luke's real name is Martin. And Marcus was an FBI agent all this time?

Then....I heard sirens. I saw the colourful lights go on and off almost in a pattern. I pushed myself up leaning on the car. I felt a rush of relief as I realised, Luke, well Martin has been busted. And that's when I felt it, hope...... My sigh was so dense because I could barely believe what was going on.

"You can't run away Luke, the cops are here. Put the gun down" Marcus continued.
Luke began to laugh shaking his head as he swayed his gun.
"After everything and I'm going to be caught like this? Me? Do you have any idea-" he continued to laugh.
At that moment we we're already surrounded.
"Your behind this too right?" Luke said to me. I didn't respond, afraid he'd shoot if I moved.
"It's over Martin, put the gun down" Marcus said holding his gun up.
"Don't you dare call me that" Luke sneered.
A cop came to help me up and he cut the rope. I thanked him.
"It's over" Marcus said to Luke. Luke kept nodding his head, probably confused at how his end would come like this.
Then, I heard a loud bang. I felt a pang on my abdomen. Heat waves coursing through my body, I let out a loud cry as I hit the ground.

The world around me began to fade. I heard another gun shot but didn't know who it was at. I felt people lifting me up. Loud voices heard faintly. "Call an ambulance! Now!" A voice yelled.
I heard another voice almost in an echo.
"........You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in the court of law......"
And all I could think of was...Thank God.

•~•~•~•
John....
"I should have been there, I should have protected her or something I-" I said worried and angry at myself as I paced around the waiting room.
"It's not your fault, she'll be okay." Alice said trying to calm me down.
"Honey just stay calm, you've prayed she'll be fine" My Mom said.
"What if it's worse."
"Again with the what ifs. Son she'll be alright" My Dad said gesturing me to sit down.

"I mean to be honest, the person who should be more terrified is the lost but found over there." Alice said looking awkwardly at Mr Jarius who is sitting quietly, staring at blank space.
"Don't talk about him like that Alice." My Mom scolded.
They we're right though. I do believe she's alright, but I felt I should have been there for her and not let the cops do all the work. At least I should have been there at least in one of the cop's car or something, basically I wanted to be the hero at some point.

I walked over to Mr Jarius and began, "hey... Uh.. I know it's hard, you haven't seen her for a while and, uh. Mr Jarius?" I called because he seemed lost in his thoughts.
"Mr Jarius" I called again.
"yes, uh sorry I-"
"It's okay. " I said to him.
"sorry I just....its hard you know, meeting her like this, I don't know if.... Oh God, help me." He said as his eyes began to tear up.
"It's not your fault-"
"But it is, it is, I shouldn't have sent her off like that, to an uncle we barely knew? It's my fault. I did this."
"No you didn't, it's not your fault, I'm sure you wanted the best for her"
"She probably hates me, why would she want to see me? "
"Mr Jarius, she doesn't hate you, she doesn't."
Mr Jarius began nodding his head as he wiped off a tear.
"Luke won't be hurting her or anyone again okay?" I continued.
"Okay" He sighed.
"Please....call me Jaden" he said after a little while.
"okay," I replied with a smile.

"Uh, hi, thank you for waiting patiently, she's going to be fine, no internal organ was damaged." a nurse said to us.
"Thank God" we all said relieved.
"You can come see her now, she's awake" The nurse continued.
"You guys go in first. I don't think this is the right time for us to meet like this." Jaden said to us.
I nodded nervously.
Here goes.