Epilogue

Mary...
Visiting Luke in jail was always so nerve wrecking. I couldn't stop thinking for the fact that he hates me. He told me to stop coming to visit but I didn't. I didn't get the chance to say all I wanted to. It's been almost a year now and he kept shutting me out. But this time I have to say what I have to say and he has to listen.

I was escorted to the booth. I sat down and waited for Luke to come, I was nervous he wouldn't but he showed up. He sat down with a sneer he grabbed the phone on his side and I did the same on mine.
"I thought I told you to piss of" He hissed.
"We'll a very good afternoon to you too uncle" I said.
"Don't call me that" he said. I could tell he was already pissed.
"please wait, just listen okay, please for once." I begged seeing him trying to put back the phone.
"I'm listening" he said.
"okay. I never wished anything bad to happen for you, well except when I wished you were dead and, you know, look I know you're pissed this happened to you, but you were wrong and you know it. Despite it all, I still forgive you and I know that you have a chance to change to be a better person-"
"you come down here to preach to me? Just like yo daddy huh"
"Luke please. You have a chance, God loves you and wants you to come to him. In fact all your sins are forgiven you just have to believe and accept it. And I won't stop visiting. One way or the other you're still family."
Luke stared at me sternly. He knew he was defeated, he kept acting tough, mostly because he was angry and still had pride.
"You have to let your pride down if you want to let Jesus into your life. You can't help yourself Luke, you need God. And I learned that. I love you Uncle Luke and God loves you too and you can't do anything about that." with that I dropped the phone and saw he motion me to wait.
I grabbed the phone.
"I got your gift" He said.
"The Bible?"
"yeah. I haven't been reading it. But I'll see." I nodded a small smile grew on my lips but they faded as quickly as they came.
"okay" I said to him.

"wait uh..." I called back.
"I'm getting married in a few months so, I just wanted to let you know" I continued.
"To the white boy? "
"To John, yes." I retorted.
He nodded.
"Congratulations." He said sarcastically, but I take it anyways.
"Thank you," I replied.
"You're a good kid Mary."
I smiled and he nodded. Well it was almost as good as a smile. Progress.
"I'll keep praying for you." with that I dropped the phone stood up and left.

John sits in the car staring at the road, I could tell something was on his mind.
"John are you-"
"So you're Nigerian" He said he turns to me with a grin.
I shake my head.
"You're just finding that out now?" I asked.
"Well no I just haven't said that out loud... Interesting" he rubs his beard.
I smacked his shoulder.
"What?!" He laughed as he rubbed his shoulder.
"Luke is Nigerian too you know" I said.
"Wow, way to spoil the moment" John said. I rolled my eyes shaking my head.

"So How was it?" He asked.
"well.... Progress." I said and smiled at him. He kissed me on my cheek and started the car.
"so where are we headed, star bucks?" he asked.
"you bet."

Sometimes it's really hard to stay strong. One way or the other our pasts digs it's way up through our emotions. How we handle it matters. I've learned to let go and forgive no matter what pain was caused.
I learnt to cast my cares to God because he cares and he loves me. I'm a whole new person through Christ. I might be scarred, but I've chosen to see past the hurt, give room for healing.
I was broken, God saw me. He put me back together and now I'm whole, new, and refined, masterpiece. I choose not to be a victim, I choose to stand strong, I choose to conquer. Because I was born for greatness.
We all have scars, beauty can come out of it. We just have to trust God, no matter what, no matter the circumstance. For we live by faith and not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7.
God loves us no matter what, no matter how flawed you are. Just come as you are.
"Thank you God."

The End.