Afternoon Comes

Yeah I have to stop putting in these notes. Here's the chapter <3.

Anne's POV

Afternoon has arrived, and we have been to almost every house in Avonlea and the people all basically said the same thing.

They are not interested.

Of course, they have said their condolences for Matthew's passing, but they declined the offer for the farm. We were about to lose hope when I remembered "Marilla, how about we ask the Barrys? I'm sure they won't mind to have the farm and harvest the crops."

"Well I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask. Okay let's go to the Barrys right now as there is no point go asking around to people who are not interested."

So we set off for the Barrys. I was ecstatic at this since I can finally see my bosom friend Diana after two weeks. I surely did miss her and everything that has happened, I do need my kindred spirit to talk to. 

We arrived at the Barry's household after a few minutes. When we arrived, Mrs Barry opened the door with a smile on her face.

"Miss Cuthbert and Anne! What a pleasure to see you. I am deeply sorry of your loss. Mr Cuthbert was a great and quiet man who will surely be missed. Please come in oh and Anne congratulations on your scholarship! Diana informed me about it and speaking of which, Diana is up in her room if you want to see her."

Marilla and I came in, and I immediately went to Diana's room while Marilla was speaking to Mrs Barry.

When I came upstairs, Diana was there and she hugged me.

"Oh Anne it feels like I haven't seen you in forever! Oh there is so much to talk about. Even though we only spoke a week ago I-"

"Oh Diana, let's go to your room and we will catch up on what we have missed," I cut her off, laughing. And she says I am the over reactive one. We went to her room, chatting like good old times. It still seems like a dream when we were school girls. Oh how I do miss those days. Now, I am starting to grow up and I am afraid everything will change, and I am afraid of change now. But there has to be a bend in the road at some point, and I guess the bend in the road for me started when Matthew passed. Oh how I do wish I was still the young girl of eleven, in Green Gables, not a care in the world and I just explored my imagination. However, talking with Diana always makes me feel young again, and I am ever so grateful to have Diana in my life.

While Diana and I were having our heart to heart conversation upstairs, Marilla, Mr and Mrs Barry were discussing the details of the farm (they had agreed to take over the farm), and the harvest and the crop supply. When the arrangement had been made, Marilla and I left the Barry household, both satisfied with our afternoon. I had a great conversation with Diana and Marilla was able to make the deal with the Barrys. With that, we left the Barry household and started off to Green Gables.

On our way back, I was thinking about my conversation with my dear Diana. It started off with the gossips going around Avonlea like who's courting who and who's left us and who's moving in (apparently we are going to be having a new neighbour by the start of July.) As I was speaking about my time at Queen's, the conversation of Gilbert Blythe came up. 'Oh dear' is what I thought to myself as Diana was rambling on about how much the Avonlea schoolboys have grown, especially Gilbert Blythe. I started to get this weird feeling in my stomach, but I chose to ignore it. As she continued speaking, I suddenly blurted out "I forgave Gilbert Blythe and we had a walk together about a week ago." I instantly regretted saying that as Diana squealed,

"Anne finally! Everyone, including Gilbert, has been waiting for that day for ages! What tempted you to forgive him?"

I told her about how Gilbert gave up the Avonlea schoolmaster post for me so that I can stay at Green Gables. And about our walk after I forgave him, and about the conversation we had outside Green Gables. All throughout, I got these weird butterfly feelings in my stomach but again I ignored them. Diana looked like she was about to burst the whole time I was speaking.

When I finally finished recalling mine and Gilbert's encounter, Diana squealed (again), and she said very excitedly,

"Anne you know he likes you right?!"

"Diana Barry! How can you say such a thing! Gilbert and I just became friends and besides, why would he like me? Have you seen how I look? Plus, he barely knows me."

"Oh come on, seriously? How come he has been trying to get your attention for years and make you forgive him? Trust me Anne, he likes you, possibly loves you."

"Diana Barry! That is not true!"

"And do you want to know what else I think? Secretly you love him too."

"DIANA BARRY! I AM ON THE VERGE OF LOSING MY PATIENCE WITH YOU!"

"See, I was right!"

"ARE NOT!"

"Are too!"

With that, I ended the conversation about Gilbert Blythe. I chuckled just thinking about that. I still haven't truly grown up yet.  Thinking about Gilbert, I still thought about how I should go see him tonight. I long for a good conversation with him. I feel like he understands me better in some ways, like I can talk more openly to him and he will truly understand what I'm saying. So I decided I shall see him tonight. I am already looking forward to it. I think it is just because he is a kindred spirit...

Gilbert's POV

It was noon now, and I have finally reached White Sands to apply for the job. I was nervous as I have to get a job so that I can save up for college, and this was my only chance to stay near Avonlea so that I can come home for the weekends. As I walked in the town hall, I noticed the board of trustees sitting on a high table. Gosh there were around five. And they were all stern looking.

"Please take a seat Mr Blythe," said the sternest looking one out of all. She had a stout nose and with lips very dark which were sealed into a tight frown. She was quite old that's for certain, her facial features showed it.  But the look in her eyes was what scared me most. It was like there was a great unknown in them, and I feared for it to be released. I sat down almost immediately. I was very frightened now, however I didn't show it as I was determined to get the post.

"So," said the same lady, "as I am sure you are aware, the White Sands school needs a new master and you have come applying for it. There are other good candidates trying out for the post, so please explain to us why you think you would be a good option for us." Here we go...

**********

Well at least that is over. I am pretty sure I did a great job at it and since I am still very determined, and that determination came through well. So overall I am very happy with how that went, and I shall look forward to hearing from them in a few days. Oh how time will fly. Oh it only seems like yesterday I was a schoolboy, teasing all the girls (until Anne came of course). My father was well and my mother was laughing and we were a happy, small family. Those days have flown by fast. Everything had changed since I got back from New Brunswick. It's because of Anne. She changed my life. She lights up my world and everywhere I go, now I see her in it. I barely know her yet I can see it. It's funny how life works. Like it's meant to be. I may have chased her all those years, but there is still more to come. 

I spent my whole ride home thinking about Anne, about how beautiful I think she is, from inside and outside. Wow she has really stolen my heart. But she hasn't got it all yet. And then I remembered I was planning to see Anne tonight. I already can't wait, even though I don't know if she is going to be busy or not. I am looking forward to the conversation we are going to have. When I talked to Anne last week, it was like everything clicked. She understood me and I understood her, no one else will understand us better than each other. 

We are meant to be.

________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hey guys I hope you enjoyed this chapter <3. Some Shirbert coming up in the next chapter (yay!). Please don't forget to vote and comment. Feel free to criticize (but not too harshly). Thank you again <3.