The Concert Part 2

I will soon make both the parts into one chapter. I missed writing :P

All rights go to L.M Montgomery for the passage from Anne of Green Gables in the middle.

Anyways, enjoy <3.

Third Person POV

Gilbert reached the hall a few minutes before the girls. While he was driving, he had another vision of Anne and himself, with four children this time. Little did he know he had a similar vision to Anne, like their minds are somehow connected. However, that was for another time to discuss when they were older and wiser, and when they will be together.

For now though, Anne and Gilbert focused on enjoying the concert, except both had a different criteria. Gilbert's goal was to make sure Anne enjoys the concert with him, and Anne's was to just generally have a good time with her kindred spirits.

So when Anne saw Gilbert in the distance, she could not quite believe it. It was already hard to get tickets, let alone Gilbert Blythe being there! She started to panic, she had to act like she hated him, because they were enemies. Right?

Only a few moments later it came rushing back to her that she and Gilbert had become friends, and she had classified him as a kindred spirit. They were good friends now. Anne didn't have to worry about hating him, because that was a tough job for all of those years to handle. 

What came to mind (which happened to be associated with Gilbert) was a sweet memory of one of the best nights of her life, which happened to be in the very same hall as she is about to enter very shortly...

Diana's cousins, the Murrays from Newbridge, came; they all crowded into the big pung sleigh, among straw and furry robes. Anne reveled in the drive to the hall, slipping along over the satin-smooth roads with the snow crisping under the runners. There was a magnificent sunset, and the snowy hills and deep-blue water of the St. Lawrence Gulf seemed to rim in the splendor like a huge bowl of pearl and sapphire brimmed with wine and fire. Tinkles of sleigh bells and distant laughter, that seemed like the mirth of wood elves, came from every quarter.

"Oh, Diana," breathed Anne, squeezing Diana's mittened hand under the fur robe, "isn't it all like a beautiful dream? Do I really look the same as usual? I feel so different that it seems to me it must show in my looks."

"You look awfully nice," said Diana, who having just received a compliment from one of her cousins, felt that she ought to pass it on. "You've got the loveliest color."

The program that night was a series of "thrills" for at least one listener in the audience, and, as Anne assured Diana, every succeeding thrill was thrillier than the last. When Prissy Andrews, "climbed the slimy ladder, dark without one ray of light," Anne shivered in luxurious sympathy; when the choir sang "Far Above the Gentle Daisies" Anne gazed at the ceiling as if it were frescoed with angels; when Sam Sloane proceeded to explain and illustrate "How Sockery Set a Hen" Anne laughed until people sitting near her laughed too, more out of sympathy with her than with amusement at a selection that was rather threadbare even in Avonlea; and when Mr. Phillips gave Mark Antony's oration over the dead body of Caesar in the most heart-stirring tones—looking at Prissy Andrews at the end of every sentence—Anne felt that she could rise and mutiny on the spot if but one Roman citizen led the way.

Only one number on the program failed to interest her. When Gilbert Blythe recited "Bingen on the Rhine" Anne picked up Rhoda Murray's library book and read it until he had finished, when she sat rigidly stiff and motionless while Diana clapped her hands until they tingled.

That was certainly a night to remember. She would have given anything to go back to that wonderful night again. Anne also remembered that Diana told her afterwards that when Gilbert recited the line 'There's another, not a sister', he was looking directly at her. Of course, Anne being Anne, she was furious at Diana. But thinking about it now, maybe it wasn't such a bad thing after all. He only wanted her friendship at that time, right?