The One Who Got Away

I am sorry for the depressing last chapter. Here is the new one <3.

Anne's POV

We were deciding the winner now. I knew that I would win however, there is still to be an element of surprise as the other girls' stories were nice as well. Eventually, we all decided my story won. I was ecstatic that I was able to host the girls. It means we can more time together. We could make more memories before we get parted again: Jane and Ruby going back to Queens, Diana having more training, me teaching. Time is not our friend, and never will be, so this is the only way we can outsmart it. I was very excited already, but I was sensing something going on between the girls, like this was not what I thought it was. However, I pushed those thoughts out of my mind. The girls would never betray me, right? Anyways, we started discussing what we wanted to do with the plan and then, we heard a twig snapping in the distance. We all shuddered at the sound, could there be someone watching us?

Diana's POV

Great, Anne is falling into our plan perfectly. Now, we have to make the other arrangements in order for the plan to work. The girls and I were giving looks between each other once we decided Anne was the winner, and we could tell that Anne knew there was something going on between us, so I told her how excited I was to see what she would plan, and then all of us chattered excitedly. Suddenly, we heard a twig snapping in the distance, and it was pretty loud. We all shuddered at the sound, could there be someone watching us? If there is, we may not be safe...

Mystery POV

I was watching the girls in the shed next to the oak tree. They were all there, talking to each other about some competition. I came a while back and started listening to their stories, the first three were rather silly. However, Anne's was amazingly written, as always. She recited it in that beautiful voice of hers, and the voice especially matched with the story. Once she had finished, it took me so much self-restrain not to clap for her. That is one of the many things I came to like about Anne, how she uses that imagination of hers in so many ways. And how she decides to express it. Every time I see Anne or think about her, I feel more and more guilty for being so mean to her. Okay, maybe I underestimated that a little, how I have bullied her! 

The thing is, I was always so jealous of Anne, with her having a family that loves her, with that imagination, how some boys already love her! Take Gilbert Blythe for example, everyone's favourite boy. All the boys wished to be friends with him, all the girls had crushes on him at some point, including me. He enjoyed being popular I believe, him teasing all the girls and being mates with all the boys, he had it all. Especially since he was the oldest one. Thinking about it, he might not have had everything. His father has been gravely ill for a while now, and he must have been taking care of him for so long. However, he had everything in school. Except Anne. When Anne came along, as soon as he laid eyes on her, all he ever wanted was her attention. He wanted Anne, and that's when my breaking point started inside of me. I liked Gilbert Blythe at that time, and since I was used to getting things my way, I wanted Gilbert! I wanted the kind of love she got from Gilbert, and the love would soon be getting from everyone, I wanted it!

The wish was long gone for home already, my parents will never love me the way the Cuthberts love Anne. Sure they love me: they get anything I want, if that's what love is. But that is not what love is, and I know it. 

Another thing is, she took all of my friends away from me, but that was my own fault. If I could change the past, I would try and become friends with Anne, and not say all those nasty things to her, which I don't mean.

There is nothing I can do to change the past now, and I realised it a few months back. So I tried another method. By trying to win everyone's attention over me again. Since I was in the Queens class, and I realised Gilbert was mad at Anne, I decided to use that as an advantage and start with him first. But the more I went with him home from school when were in Avonlea, or when we had those study sessions at Queens, the more I realised why Gilbert liked her so much. Because they were so similar, they had similar minds. It is like they were made for each other. 

So I gave up. 

I knew that I would never be loved like Anne, unless I changed my ways. So here I stand in the woods today, wishing to get Anne's attention. All I wanted to do was put the past behind me, and become friends with Anne. I know I may not be as what she calls 'kindred spirits', but I know I would really like to become friends with her, and for her to give me another chance. So I was going to apologise, not at this very moment. She would think I am peculiar, standing here in the middle of the woods, watching her and her friends. I did want to get a closer look though. As I started to step closer, I didn't realise there was a twig in front of me, and it made a large crunching sound as I stepped on it. 

I am going to be in big trouble if they catch me.

Anne's POV

What was that noise? I am getting terrified by the minute. I know I shouldn't be afraid, after all it was only a twig snap! However, someone could be watching us, and it may be an unknown person. It could be an animal, but an animal doesn't make that big of a sound if it steps on a twig!

The girls and I exchanged looks between each other, and it was agreed that someone should go out and check. I volunteered, as I was curious if there was someone watching us, maybe it was someone we knew. I wasn't as terrified as I was with that thought in mind. 

I set out, being cautious as I took my step.

"Hello, is there anyone here?" I said loudly, as they usually do in books in the chase part. Oh how I do love a good chase.

I heard some shuffling of footsteps in the distance. I started to walk swiftly in the direction I heard the shuffling from. I spot some blonde hair in the distance. I quickly rushed over to the speck I saw. Standing before me was a plump blonde young lady who I knew very well. It was none other than...

"Josie?!"

________________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys. I hope you guys were able to guess who it was from the mysterious POV, otherwise my writing has failed me ;). Thank you for reading and as usual, please don't forget to comment and vote. Thank you <3.