Evening Winds

Credit goes to L.M Montgomery for the passage from Anne of Green Gables. And special thanks to @ImanOfGreenGables for supporting my story.

Anne's POV

I was sitting outside, watching the sun go down slowly. It was a beautiful sight indeed, like a canvas painting. There were a mixture of colours in the sky: oranges, pinks and dark blues. The sky chose it themselves. The soft glowing ball, which was above the land in front of me, was all the oranges you can think of, and with a yellow outline. One can admire it for hours, you would wish it stayed still, so that you can look at it forever. And indeed it made me want to stay there forever, however as the sun was also going down I had to commence my plan to go to Matthew's grave and go find Gilbert afterwards, so I left with the sun disappearing for human's eye for the day.

As I made my way across the Lake of Shining Waters, I had a memory of mine and Matthew's drive along here when he first came to get me from the train station...

"That's Barry's pond," said Matthew.

"Oh, I don't like that name, either. I shall call it—let me see—the Lake of Shining Waters. Yes, that is the right name for it. I know because of the thrill. Why do other people call it Barry's pond?"

"I reckon because Mr. Barry lives up there in that house. Orchard Slope's the name of his place. If it wasn't for that big bush behind it you could see Green Gables from here. But we have to go over the bridge and round by the road, so it's near half a mile further."

"Oh, here we are at the bridge. I'm going to shut my eyes tight. I'm always afraid going over bridges. I can't help imagining that perhaps just as we get to the middle, they'll crumple up like a jack-knife and nip us. So I shut my eyes. But I always have to open them for all when I think we're getting near the middle. Because, you see, if the bridge did crumple up I'd want to see it crumple. What a jolly rumble it makes! I always like the rumble part of it. Isn't it splendid there are so many things to like in this world? There we're over. Now I'll look back. Good night, dear Lake of Shining Waters. I always say good night to the things I love, just as I would to people. I think they like it. That water looks as if it was smiling at me."

I smiled thinking about the memory, and then tears came to my eyes. I remember it so vividly, oh dear how much I used to ramble! But Matthew loved it, and he was my first kindred spirit. He will always be missed by me. I heard someone say once that if you don't forget someone's they aren't truly dead. So I shall keep on remembering Matthew for as long as I live. Oh, how much I miss dear Matthew! Tears started to spill quickly, and I quickly wiped them away. Matthew wouldn't want me to mourn him like this all the time, he would want to be remembered with a smile and laughs. So I shall do that, smile and laugh for him. Because that is what he would have wanted.

As I was thinking about Matthew, I saw a lovely rosebush out of the corner out of my eye I saw a yellow rosebush. I immediately walked over to it and started to admire the beautiful flowers. I thought to myself 'I must take these somehow to Matthew's grave'. I started to pluck some of the flowers, and then I started walking to Avonlea's graveyard again.

When I reached, I spotted Matthew's grave and ran over to it. I put the roses and watered them. I lingered there for a little while longer, thinking of the memories associated with Matthew. I smiled and laughed for him, as I promised myself I would do. The memories of Matthew shall be cherished forever by me, because that is all I have left of him.

As I remembering him, little did I know someone was watching me for a little while now...

Gilbert's POV