Mission

(Sophie is now 5 years old.)

Levi's POV

I took my time walking back to the house. My mind was clouded with anxious thoughts. How am I going to tell her? How am I going to tell Sophie that we're going on a mission and don't know when we'll be back?

"Are we gonna do it, Levi?" Farlan asked me.

"We have to. You heard the man. There's no way around this." I answered.

"But what about Sophie?"

"I don't know." I shook my head and walked into the house.

"Daddy!" Sophie immediately took notice of me and gave me a hug. I slowly placed my arms around her, too.

"Hey, sweetie." I said. She pulled away and told me what all she did while Farlan and I were out. I nodded and carried her upstairs.

"What are we doing, Daddy? It's not bedtime yet." She said.

"Daddy needs to talk to you about something very important." I replied. I took her to my bedroom and sat her on the bed. I took a minute to look at her. Sophie. My daughter. She's the only real thing I have left from Valerie. How can I just up and leave her like this?

"What's wrong, Daddy?" She wiped a tear from my cheek that I didn't even realize was there. I shook my head and took a deep breath.

"Sophie, you know how Farlan, Isabel and I sometimes go on what we call missions?" She nodded. "Well, we have another one, and this one's different."

"How?"

"We may have to go away for a little while."

"That's okay. You guys go away overnight sometimes."

"No, Sophie, not this time." I looked into her eyes that exactly resembled my own. "We may have to leave for longer than that. I don't know how long exactly."

"I can come with you!"

"No, Sophie, this is far too dangerous." I sighed. "This mission could make our crimes forgotten and possibly get us citizenship on the surface."

"So we can actually get up there?!"

"Yes, but you're going to have to stay here while we do the mission."

Sophie's POV

Stay down here...? Alone? "No." I said.

"What?" My dad asked.

"No. I'm not staying down here."

"Sophie, it's far too-"

"I can protect myself! I can protect you guys, too!" I felt tears rise to my eyes.

"Sophie, not this time."

"I'm coming, too!" I continued to protest. Why can't he just understand?!

"Sophie Ackerman." My dad crossed his arms and gave me a stern stare. I shrunk back and muttered a "sorry." "You can't come with us and that's final. You're too young for this. I promise you, though. We'll come back as soon as we can and get you. We'll all be together on the surface."

I was silent. I still wanted to go with them. "When will you guys be back?" I asked.

"I don't know." He answered. "A week, maybe two. Maybe more, I don't know. But as for you, I'm going to stock up the kitchen. You shouldn't have to leave the house for anything. If something happens, just remember everything I taught you."

"But I don't want you to go." My voice cracked and I finally started crying. He sat me on his lap and pressed my head against his beating heart.

"I know, sweetie. I don't want to go either. But this is such an opportunity and we can't pass it up." He said. "But I promise you, Sophie, I will come back for you. And not just me, but Farlan and Isabel, too."

"You promise?" I asked, looking into his eyes. He bent down and kissed my forehead.

"I promise."