New friends

Sophie's POV

It's been about three weeks since Daddy left. I've been doing better with my training and cleaning but I'm still really lonely. The kitchen is completely out of food now so I'm going to have to go outside today. Daddy, Farlan and Isabel never had any money, they always stole, so I'm going to have to try and sneak something away.

I went out the door and cautiously started walking down the street. Some people sat in the alley ways or trudged along to the market. There were a good many people there. Great. How am I going to get anything?

I walked around looking at the stalls, my stomach starting to rumble. I noticed some stalls that sold bread and such, but there were too many people there. "Hey sweetheart, what are you doing here?" A creepy old man stepped around his stall and came towards me.

"I-I... uh..." I stepped back and looked for a way of escape.

"You should come with me. I have a puppy." He smiled. Puppy?! I've always wanted one but Daddy said they were messy.

"No thank you, we'll just be going now." A man from behind me said.

"Oh yeah, and just who are you to say that?" The man at the stall got a little irritated.

"Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave my daughter alone." The other man said.

I turned around and looked up at see a man that in fact wasn't my dad. He grabbed my hand and we started walking away. He looked nice enough and I somehow felt like I could trust him. Once we were far enough away from the market, I decided to speak up. "U-Um... Thank you, s-sir..." I said. He looked down and smiled at me.

"No problem, little one. Why were you all alone?" He asked. I paused to think of the right words to say.

"Well... my mom passed away two years ago and my dad and friends went on a mission. It's been three weeks and the food ran out."

He looked down in pity. "Oh wow... I'm so sorry." He said. "Well if you'd like, you could come join my wife and I for lunch."

"Oh, I really don't want to intrude." I said.

"It's not a big deal at all." He smiled at me. "I work one of the stalls in town so we do get some money at times." I hesitantly nodded and he led me to a house. It was small but cozy. There was a woman standing stirring a pot in the kitchen.

"Welcome back, dear." She said and then her eyes landed in me. "Oh, who is this?"

"M-My name's Sophie." I said nervously. The man told her everything I had told him.

"Oh, well in that case, you're welcome here any time, Sophie. You can just call me Mrs. Miller." The woman smiled at me.

"Thank you, Mrs. Miller." I smiled back. She chuckled at my politeness and set the table for lunch.