21 | Night Log 🍂

"You're lucky it tried to run back to its nest." Hoseok stated as he carefully lifted each of the small baby bunnies into the box. "These little guys would've been dead by morning."

"So what are we supposed to do with them now?" I asked while Jimin smiled.

"We take care of them."

"What?" Taehyung asked, "there are six baby rabbits. Mom and dad won't let us keep them all."

"I'll take one." Jimin replied.

"Me too!" Hoseok added with excitement.

"I will too I guess." Jungkook said, there were still three bunnies.

"You and I can both keep one and I'll give the last one to Namjoon." I finished. "Six bunnies, six boys."

———

"How come my plans never work out?" I asked as Taehyung and I sat in the veterinarian's office.

"I dunno, you're a little slow in the head so I'm not surprised."

I gave him an offended expression.

The door then opened.

"So the bunnies are hypothermic, and they're too small to recuperate body temperature."

"Don't you guys have heat lamps for that?" I asked, the vet shook his head.

"The heat from the lamp is too hot for them. Their best bet is to try and huddle together to create heat amongst each other. Two of them have already died."

"Have you tried holding them?" I asked.

"They barely fit in the palm of a hand. I think your best option is to euthanize them."

———

"You're crazy you know?" Taehyung asked, I sat with the small baby bunny in my hands.

It was the last one left.

The other five died as we went back into the examination room.

There was a soft knock on the door.

Jimin opened it and entered before taking a seat on the bed next to Taehyung.

His phone then began to ring.

"It's Kookie, I'll be back in a bit." He hummed before hurrying out of the room, leaving Jimin and I alone.

I stroked the baby bunnies back with my thumb.

It was hairless and blind; the way the bunnies were born. Making it only a few days old at least.

"So you're going to save it?"

"I'm gonna try." I hummed while sighing.

"I mean, they gave you everything you're gonna need." Jimin started. "I think if it lives it'll live a good life."

I smiled.

"You know, skin to skin contact helps. They do it with premature babies." He suggested. "How long do you have to keep it alive for until it'll be okay?"

"Four weeks at least."

"So is it coming with us?" He asked smiling, I looked up at him.

"If it's okay with you."

"Of course it's okay." He sighed as I pulled off my shirt and placed the baby bunny against my bare chest. "You're cute as a dad anyway."

I chuckled.

"Hopefully it stays that way."

Hopefully it makes it.

"Just four weeks." I whispered before Jimin moved next to me and rested his head on my shoulder.

"How are you going to drive with it?" He asked, I was also thinking the same thing.

Then it came to me.

"A sling." I smiled. "Like a kangaroo pocket but over my shoulder like a one-strap bag."

It was genius.

"Four weeks isn't that long." Jimin smiled while we both looked at the bunny.

'Just Four Weeks.'

———

© thatjuicykpop, 2019
All Rights Reserved