Chapter 28. Trust issues

You know that feeling when you feel like you're in eternal peace? That you just don't want to deal with anything from this world and keep living in that particular moment infinitely. When all your worries seem useless and everything feels right. You know what I am talking about? You do, right?

Well, I was experiencing the same. I didn't want it to get over. I could just stay like this for the rest of my life and never complain about anything.

"Don't fall asleep now. I am almost done."

"No, mom. You can't do this to me."

"I can."

"I am your only daughter."

"Such a dramaqueen. Get up now, my legs have gone numb."

I pouted and moved my head from her lap. She stretched her legs and went in the bathroom to wash her hands. She had been applying oil to my hair for half an hour now.

But still I wanted her to continue with it. She had magical hands. As she massaged my head, I gradually laid my head in her lap and if she hadn't woken me up I would have fallen asleep.

You don't need meditation. You could just simply lay your head in your mother's lap and reach Nirvana. I grudgingly got up and tied my hair in a bun. Today, Nikhil's family was coming over for dinner so I had to help mom with cooking.

I sucked at it so mom only made me do small tasks like cutting the vegetables or kneading dough. How come I didn't inherit her culinary talents? Even dad was a great cook. Why God? Why so much injustice towards me?

By the time dad arrived, we were done with preparing dinner. Nikhil's family also arrived soon after, but one person was missing.

"Nikhil didn't come aunty?" I asked.

"No beta. He said he had to do group study at a friend's house."

"Oh. Okay."

"How's your preparation going? Exams are next month, right?"

"Yes, aunty."

"I am thankful to you that you are helping Nikhil with studies. That boy only loves sports. If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have even taken admission in a college."

"Yeah. He loves basketball a lot. He is a great player aunty. You should be proud of him."

"Yes, I know. But studies are important too. That's what's going to pay in the future."

I just nodded at this. I didn't know a proper reply to this. Moreover, I didn't want to get in a debate with her right now. I was hungry. What's with studies being more important than sports? We all know so many star sport players. They were earning quite well.

Whatever. If I began on this topic, I wouldn't be able to stop speaking for years. I took my seat at the dining table and as usual all the talk was about exams, job, marriage etc. etc. And since Nikhil wasn't here, I was the only prey. All the questions were directed at me and most of the times I controlled the urge to bang my fists on the table.

Every generation got a problem with the one after them. Why do they have to compare everytime? I hated it. I quickly finished my dinner and dashed to my room before Nikhil's mom started talking about finding a groom for me.

Come on aunty. I was just 18! Let me live my life. How dare Nikhil leave me alone to take all the bullets?

He was at a group study. Lucky him. I should have made a plan for myself too. Surbhi even asked me if I wanted to sleepover at her house.

You are an idiot, Sandhya.

I should have accepted her offer. Downstairs, I could hear the elders laughing and making jokes on youngsters. Seriously? I just heard something and shook my head. That was a lame joke dad.