-Unlimited

Rose

Lily sits across from Ryder and I, same place my parents did before.

She plays with her fingers, nervously as most of the gang watches her.

We came to talk in the huge sitting area downstairs at the hotel. The men, being who they are, saw a member of the Mafia and said they had to be at this meeting just in case, but I think they're just being nosey.

"I-I just wanted t-to say thank you for everything." She manages to squeeze out.

"How did you find us?" Ryder deadpans.

She flinches, blinking rapidly while breathing hard and swallowing. I smack Ryder's thigh.

"Be nice. I like her." I whisper to him.

He nods after watching me for a second.

"Don't be so scared. I won't let them hurt you. They wouldn't anyway unless you gave them a reason." I assure her.

She visibly shakes, but takes a deep breath and kinda calms down.

"I want to thank you. You saved us servants again and again, treating us like actual p-people. You're the kindest person I've ever met."

Her eyes shine with gratitude, a lot different than the dead eyes I saw before. I'm glad.

"Rose? Nice? I'm sorry, maybe you've got the wrong person." Ethan remarks.

The whole group laughs. Ryder snickers next to me and I scoff.

"Har har har, shut up Ethan. Shut up all of you, I'm talking." They eventually calm down and Lily seems much more relaxed.

Ok, Ethan. I see what you did there.

"I just wanted you to know that we'll be fine. I'm sure you've heard that the Killats and the Busken are being disbanded, and I knew it would make you feel like you had to do something again, because that's who you are, madam, you care so much for everyone. It saves lives, but you give up so much. We would love you as our leader, even the Busken after seeing how much you care about Caleb, but you don't have to. You have the choice."

Every word she says strikes my soul. My father's words come back to me.

Is this what he meant?

I guess work as a servant leaves you observant. She has me all figured out, it's scary.

I notice Ryder's gaze turn to me out of  the corner of my eye, but I keep mine in Lily.

"All of us are really happy you helped us, so they sent me with our message. We want you to live the life you were fighting so hard to go back to. Stop caring about us. I can see you have an enormous amount of people willing to die for you, and you deserve that.  We'll find a way to make it." She nods to herself and looks back up at me.

I'm speechless for the first time in my life. I feel exposed.

Ryder puts a hand on my thigh and runs circles into my knee.

"Right now seemed like the perfect time to tell you guys I'm staying here with Rose. Most of you know how I got without her, so I've decided never to leave her side again." Ryder announces.

The crowd seem shocked.

"Ryder, you dont have to do this for me, I-"

"No, Rose, I'm doing this for me. I told you I need you."

"So what about us?!" Lucas shouts out from somewhere. I find him next to Ethan on some chair.

"Those who want to go, can go and those who want to stay, can stay. If you guys want a new leader, then by all means, elect one. I'm staying here, though. I know Rose is going to stay and take care of these people, she'll die of regret if she doesn't." He smiles softly at them.