BC: Rose meets Ryder's Mom

Rose

My heart beats quick and hard in my chest. Sweat glistens off my forehead and my leg bounces off the balls of my feet. I chew on my lip as the car drives closer and closer to the airport.

This is fucking with my nerves. Badly.

Ryder glances at me while driving, chuckling.

"Rose relax, she doesn't bite." Ryder squeezes my leg with the hand on my lap. He likes grabbing my thigh too much, weirdo.

"Liar. " I whisper. If she rasied this loaf, she must bite and scratch.

We turn into the airport parking lot. Fuck. She's seconds away. What if she hates me? I have a habit of doing that to parental figures. 

Ryder parks the car and we both hop out and make our way to the ever-crowded airport.  We get inside and weave our way through the masses, searching for the exit of Christine's, Ryder's Mom, flight.

As much as Ryder talks about her, which is really not at all, I think I could recognize her. I already have a vague image of his mother.

A woman with dark brown hair and eyes, maybe few gray roots. Very serious, very intimidating and she might even scare me. I've only thought of the disapproving face she'll make when she sees me, so her body is a blur.

"It's here." Ryder says, stopping.

My foot bounces as we stand waiting. Ryder grabs my hand, squeezing it reassuringly.

I put on a smile and flash it at him. A hand hold isn't going to make this feeling go away. It's cute he cares though.

"There she is." Ryder pulls me along as my heart pounds quickly in my chest. This isn't even that big of a deal, she's human just like me.

Ryder drags us towards a petite little woman, dark brown hair and eyes. I called it.

"Mom!" He raises his voice a bit to catch her attention and she looks over, kind of... annoyed.

"Now you care about me? What happened the last month when you suddenly decided to move to a whole different continent for a girl?! Leaving me!" She walks up to him and scolds.

"Relax Mom, we hadn't lived together in a long time so I didn't leave you. But let me introduce you to-"

"You did leave me. I told you to go get her and come back, not to get stuck here." The woman glances my way and flinches, seeming to just notice me. I offer her a small wave, but she turns back to Ryder.

He sighs.

"Mom, this is Rose. The woman I love, ok? Rose, this is Christine, my mom." He gestures to me.

I could've say hi myself.

She finally turns and keeps her eyes on me. A stern frown stays constant on her lips as I reach out a hand to greet her.

She looks at my hand and scoffs, taking her luggage and walking away.

My arm falls to my side, defeated. I knew she would hate me. My jitters all leave me as disappointment and sadness sets in.

I just wanted Ryder's family to at least like me.

"Rose, don't let her get you down, she's just angry her son moved to Italy without telling her beforehand." Ryder wraps his arm around my shoulders and places a small peck on my lips.

I nod.

"Something like this wouldn't get me down." I smirk to him.

I'm crushed.