Chapter17 Losing A Patient

This one is for you, it is short but I hope you like it. Aronwalker012

James' pov

I woke up this morning to find that I was, yet again, alone in bed.
Jannah left me a note on the nightstand next to the bed.

I struggled to read the note with one eye open.

" Sorry bab.. Another emergency at the hospital... I didn't want to wake you up ❤️❤️"

" Not again..." I tried to rub my eyes to help me wake up.

I threw my body back on the bed in frustration.

"Wait... I own the hospital she works for... I could literally fire her!!! " I said to myself, as my intelligence led me to that idea. " But... I'm too young to die " I facepalmed myself after I realized my inevitable fate if I ever do that.

After debating whether getting out of bed was worth it on a holiday or not, I decided that it would be nice to have some time with Hamza, as my constant travelling keeps me away from home most of the time, so I left the bed, took a shower, and asked the housekeeper to bring the breakfast to my room.

After I had my breakfast and checked the stock market news, I decided to pay Hamza a visit in his room.

" My baby... My baby... My baby...." I opened my arms for him as soon as I came through the door of his room.

" DaDa.," he uttered, with a wide smile on his face revealing the first roots of his front milky teeth.

I grabbed him off the ground, and carried him in my arms, standing up.

" Dad is here today to play with you... You wanna play... You wanna play... You wanna play... " I said playfully, rubbing my nose with his gently.

I really wonder what babies think when they see us speak to them in this way, they could be like.
-And here comes the idiot dad who thinks that speaking like this would make his six months old infant understand what he means-

" Mama... " Hamza uttered.

"Oh... She is busy... You get only me today I guess... She will be jealous when she comes back... Because we are gonna plaaayyy" I said to him.

" Yay..." Hamza cheered.

I started to throw him up gently, and then catch him before he falls, Each time he would giggle.

" You love to fly... You want to fly... Let's fly" I said as I Threw him up.

After exhausting my arms throwing him up and catching him again, I decided to try another game, so I sat on the floor, with him in my lab, and we decided to play with his toys.

Time passed really quickly, and I ended up lying on my back on the floor.

" Dada.." hamza demanded to play.

"Hamza... Dad can't play anymore... I'm really tired" I said.

Hamza looked really disappointed, as he continued to play by himself.

I closed my eyes and let myself go.. Some hours later I woke up with hamza sleeping on my chest, while I was on the ground.

I carried him gently and placed him in his crib, then I went back to my room to check if Jannah came back from the hospital.

" Nope... She is not home yet" I muttered as I couldn't find her.

I grabbed my phone to call her, but as I was dialling her number, the doorbell rang.

I went to open, and it was Jannah.
She came rushing into my arms sobbing.
I held her tightly as she let out her sadness against my chest.

" Jannah... What's wrong?? Is your family okay???" I asked.

She nodded Yes against my chest.

" Something happened at work???" I asked her in concern.

She nodded Yes again, without lifting her face up to speak to me.

" Okay... Come with me" I said, trying to take her to the room.

A minute later, Jannah was sitting on the bed trying to hold her tears while I was kneeling on the ground in front of her trying to comfort Her.

" What happened??? Do you want to speak about it?? I'm here for you!!" I said.

" I lost.. A patient. He was one of my first and youngest patients... It killed me... I've known him for years... And he just... Died while I was operating on him.... " she said.

" How old was he??? " I asked.

" 18 years old... He was born with congenital anomalies in his brain... I've known him since I was at the medical school.. " she said, drying the rest of her tears.

" Jannah... I know how it feels... But you did your best" I said.

" I couldn't even tell his mother the news.. I was afraid of seeing my reflection in her eyes... I ran.. I just ran.." she sobbed.

" Jannah... Look at me... Look at me... We don't control people's fates... We are God's soldiers on this earth... We just do our best to help people... But God controls our fates... As painful as it sounds... There is a higher purpose for everything... Even losing one's child... " I said, hugging her.

" He was one of the most peaceful patients I have ever come Across... He was 18..yet he was mature as a 30-year-old man... He taught me a lot as a person... " Jannah said, after calming down a little.

" See... He was an unforgettable soul... Some people live until their seventies... And they don't even leave a lasting impression for a minute... But he lived a relatively short life in earthly years time... And left a mark on the world... By even making a difference in one person's life... You Jannah " I said, patting her shoulder.

" You think!!! " She surrendered to the idea.

" No... I believe. What do you think we are here for??? To change the world, even by doing something as simple as smiling at a passerby, or as big as saving a life!!! " I said comforting her.

" I didn't save a life today!!!" She looked at me in pain.

" You saved my life!!! " I put my forehead against hers," You saved mine".

Vote, comment and let me know your thoughts.