42

"So, what do you do if someone grabs you from behind?" Owen asks.

"If I can, I take a step forward to stabilise myself," Steph responds.

"And then what?" he looks at me.

"I lift my elbow back into the face of the attacker," I say.

"And then?"

"Keep going until they let go. You can also use your palm to fend him off."

"And then?"

"Runaway."

"Good," he smiles. "Now show me."

Steph goes first. He wraps his arms around her waist. She responds right away, following the steps we've learned. Then, he comes to me. He grabs my waist, and I stabilise myself. I lift my elbow up, making sure not to actually hit him. I repeat the move, until he lets go.

"What the fuck was that?" he scowls at me.

"What do you mean?" I frown. I thought I followed the steps well.

"Do it again, but don't be afraid this time."

He grabs hold of my waist. I bring my elbow up, repeating the moves I just made. But apparently, it's still not good enough.

"Don't be afraid to hit me, Sarah," Owen instructs. "Fight me off, properly."

"But I don't want to hurt you."

"You won't."

"But, I-."

"Don't worry about me. Don't hesitate anymore, okay."

I nod my head, ready to try again. This time, I add a layer of certainty to my actions. I try my best not to hit him, but realise I need to do better if I want to be able to defend myself.

"Good," Owen says. "But try work on your strength, okay?"

I nod, but I already know I won't. This whole lesson has been completely out of my comfort zone.

"Now, what if someone pushes you against the wall?" he continues. "Steph?"

"Keep your arms in front of you to protect your face."

"And then?" he turns to me.

"Remove one arm and make a fist," I say.

"Good. And then?"

"Turn around and strike your attacker in the face."

"And what did we say about the fist?"

"Keep your thumb outside of the first, and make it look like those giant, foam Hulk fists," I respond, remembering the picture Owen showed me.

"A hammer fist, yes that's right," he nods. "What if someone chokes you?"

"Trap their fingers with your bicep, and use your elbow to shove away his arms. Once you're free, you can strike him until you're able to run away," Steph says.

"Good. And what's the most important part of self-defence?"

"Getting out alive."

"That's right," he nods. "Don't worry about hurting your attacker, because that's exactly what they'll do to you if they win. So, fight, because your life could actually depend on it."

"This is really hard to do when it's not actually happening," Steph says. "Besides, I'm worried I'll forget all this once I'm in the moment."

"Chances are, you will. Unless you practice regularly."