67

The sun beams in through the gap in the curtain, forming a yellow line over Tyler's arm. I slowly trace my finger over it, causing goosebumps to form on his skin. I cover it with his blanket, warming him back up.

I've only been awake for a few minutes. The National is still playing in the background, and I'm still cuddled up beneath the sheets. I'm pretty sure Tyler is still asleep. His eyes are closed, and his chest is rising and falling slowly. We're laying so close together, I can feel him exhale into my hair. Our legs are intertwined, and I haven't bothered to untangle them.

"Tyler?" I whisper.

"Hmm?" he mumbles.

"Are you awake?"

"Uhm-hmm."

I glance up at him, checking to see if he's telling the truth. And he is. His eyes are open slightly, peeking down at me. He's smiling brightly. He shifts over to me, pecking me on the lips.

"How long have you been up?" I ask.

"Two hours."

"What?" I exclaim. "And you didn't wake me?"

"You were asleep," he defends. "And you looked cute."

"Shush," I laugh, nuzzling my head into his shoulder. He runs his fingers through the loose strands of my hair.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Uh-huh," I nod. "Are you?"

"I'm fantastic."

"Fantastic?"

I've never heard him use that word before. In fact, I don't think I've heard that word in years.

"How could I not be? I'm with you," he says. "My girlfriend."

"Your girlfriend," I nod. "I'm your girlfriend."

"Yes, you are," he chuckles. "You're not backing out are you?"

"No, no, no," I blurt. "Definitely not."

"No?"

"No. No way. Absolutely not."

"Good."

"Why? Are you?"

"Fuck no," he scoffs. "How could you even ask that?"

"I don't know. I just... I really like you," I confess, just like I did last night, outside in the rain.

I'm glad Tyler was considerate enough to shelter me in his car before asking me to be his girlfriend. He remained standing in the door opening, letting the droplets dampen his curls.

It was so romantic. I can't stop thinking about it. My legs dangled over the edge of the seat, with Tyler standing between them. I couldn't stop smiling the whole time. As soon as he mentioned how he wanted to be my boyfriend, I threw my arms over his shoulders and kissed him.

I just want to touch him all the time. He's so warm and soft. I'm safe with him. He's secure. I can't get hurt around him.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still anxious. There's almost a constant knot in my stomach, but it feels different. I'm not afraid of it anymore. And I'm not letting it stop me, either.

I was comfortable in the car with Tyler last night, and not just because we officially became a couple. I wasn't afraid. I was confident that I could make it home safe, because I have so many times before.

I was a little nervous to sleep with him, though. But I didn't want to leave him, either. I wanted to stay near him.

We tried sleeping in my bed first, so I'd be more comfortable, but it didn't really work out. Two people in a single bed is not ideal, especially not when one of them basically takes up the whole width of the mattress with their huge muscles.