Chapter Four|| Meetings

{Rosemaire's POV}

"And that's why I think other packs should make an example out of trespassers, as you do." I finished explaining.

I tried my best to not sound timid or nervous even though I was that on steroids right now. Mathias ran a hand over his face and slowly nodded. "I like it. I mean you would have to enforce it considering I'm not over all of the packs, but I like the idea. It works for me and it should work for others. I can get a message out to other alphas and explain why this needs to happen, back you up."

"I-I'd appreciate that." he seemed to study me for a minute.

"Chrisitan, may I have the room with your daughter please?" he asked randomly and my heart nearly stopped.

'Don't leave me.' I mind-linked my father pleadingly.

'You need luna practica, love.' was his reply as he gave Mathias a nod and stood from his chair.

"I'll be waiting downstairs, Rose. Please do respect my daughter," he spoke in a warning tone.

"Wouldn't dream of doing anything else."

My dad left the room and I sat nervously in the seat across from Mathias.

"You let them walk all over you," he stated, standing as he buttoned two buttons of his suit and walked to the window with his hands in his pockets.

"Excuse me?"

"I may be recluse sometimes, but I do follow up on the news, Rosemarie. I know what they say about you and you do nothing to contradict that. I didn't just become this feared and respected man because I sat back and did nothing."

"No, you're feared and respected because you're a full lycan and people fear you'll rip their head off in a second." I shot back and his head whipped towards me as I saw small flickers of red emerge.

I gulped as he took dangerous steps towards me and stop mere inches away, effortlessly turning my chair to face him as he leaned forward placing his hands on the sides of it. "Exactly," the red disappeared but he remained in the same spot. "I put fear into people so they don't even dare to try and walk over me. I'm a hated species, Rose. Most would call me an abomination and that is exactly what I am but no one will do shit about it because they know their place. If you continue to sit back and do nothing but cry in your room while others are talking constant shit about your future uprising, well...you got another thing coming. You'll be overthrown in no time. People that do nothing get nothing, It'd do you good to remember that."

I was speechless as I sat in my chair. I did indeed want to go cry in my room now. "Walk with your head high like the queen you will soon be. Do not second guess yourself, I've talked to you for a short period of time and I can already see you're a bright girl who knows what's best for her people. Don't ask for permission, don't look to your father every time you suggest something in fear that he'll reject it, and don't sit there agreeing with what's being said about you."

He finally moved away and I felt like I could finally breathe again. Something about his whole presence put me on edge. It was like nothing I've ever felt before.

"Understand?"

"Yes." I was quick to reply and he nodded.

"Good. I'm looking forward to working with you, Rose. I wish you the best of luck." The last bit sounded a bit sarcastic.

"Mathias?" I asked when he turned to leave the room, halting him.

"Hm?"

"Do you remember me? I mean...we were childhood best friends." I couldn't help but ask.

He turned to face me and once again his face held no emotion. I was beginning to think apathy was his number one attribute. "Who could forget you, Rose? I remember everything up to the point that brownies are your favorite snack."

My heart fluttered...but why?

"Then why did we have to stop being friends? I mean...I know I don't have the right to ask, but what happened? It's just been so long."

Someone who didn't care about you would have never just given the speech he gave me.

"Life. I shifted and became the monster everyone feared. My birth brought on a lot of chaos, to begin with, but my first shift wasn't great so let's just leave it at that."

I could feel my wolf prancing around like she wanted to be let out but it was as if every thought she tried to send my way it just vanished.

"Oh...but why don't you ever come to any alpha meetings? Or...I don't know just gatherings in general." he snorted.

"Do I really need to answer that?"

"Okay, maybe not...but I just—"

"Things have changed for the best. I keep my distance for good reasons. You know where you're not wanted."

"No one should have to live like that."

Sure, I was and still am kinda scared of this man, but he has posed no threat to me tonight. Maybe the stories are all just twisted.

"You should keep thoughts like that out of your head," he spoke and my eyes widened.

"Did you—did you just read my mind?"

"Yes, I'm a threat to everyone, which is why I stay away. Now, if you'll excuse me I need to take care of some things. It was...nice seeing you again." he left without any other words as I stood there utterly confused and dumbfounded.

***

"It was just so weird, dad. It was like he was hiding something from me." I stressed as we rode back to our home.

"He's a discreet man. Can you blame him? For a good few years, there were people who wanted him dead. I'm sure there are still some out there too."

"There's just so much about him I want to know now," I confessed.

"Well, I'm sure that's the last time you'll see him for a long time."

"Maybe so," I mumbled.

"On another note, this weekend is the annual ball we throw. All the other alphas and lunas will be there to congratulate you and they will bring people with them they deem worthy of coming, much like what we threw for your mother. Your mother will update you on other things like your dress fitting."

Even though that was going to be stressful, I was excited to see some of the other Alphas. More specifically Alpha Ivy and Alpha Amber Joe. I looked up to those girls. They didn't want to be viewed as 'lunas' they specifically wanted to be noticed as alphas, which technically they were. Alpha Ivy took over after her father handed over the Rampant title and Amber Joe took over when Alpha Jackson handed over the Intelligence title. One person I wasn't looking forward to seeing was Alpha Alessio of the Power Pack. He gives me a headache.

He's nothing but a flirt in a suit...and an asshole who happens to be my brother's best friend.

"I'm looking forward to it." my father seemed a little shocked by my response but nonetheless smiled.

"Good."

***

As I sat in my room that night, the only thing on my mind was Mathias and I had no clue why.

Why was all of a sudden he imprinted into my mind? Everything is just off about him to me, though.

It's like every thought around him vanishes.

My father's words replayed in my mind and my eyes widened...what if Mathias was altering how I thought?! What if he was...stealing thoughts from me!

But then I realized how ridiculous that sounded.

"Okay, Rose, you've officially lost it," I muttered.

Goddess knows I had.

________________________________________________________________

VOTE 

COMMENT

SHARE

What do you think will happen next?!