Chapter Twenty-Nine|| Challenges

{Rosemarie's POV}

I paced around worriedly as my mother sat calmly on the living room couch.

"He will be fine, Rose."

"How can you possibly know that?!"

"Rose, it's Mathias we're talking about."

I huffed, folding my arms, and took the spot next to her.

"I can't help it. I just—"

"Don't want to lose him? I understand, love. I know what it's like to have your mate run headfirst into a battle and just want to run right after him. Well, I actually did that but that's beside the point. Point is, you have to trust him. He knows what he's doing."

I went to retort but the grand doors opened, catching my attention.

Mathias, Mason, and my father walked through with a calm expression.

I stood to my feet, worried about what had happened out there.

Mathias was quick to walk to me, pulling me into his embrace. "I'm okay, Rose."

I tightened my hold on him as if I'd lose him any minute.

"What happened?" I spoke, barely above a whisper.

"I took care of the problem...but there's another one we all need to discuss." My heart dropped as the words left his mouth.

Mathias looked at my mom. "You were right about your suggestion when we last talked." My mother's eyes widened slightly and I looked between the two of them confused.

"What? What is it?!"

Mathias closed his eyes as if it pained him to say it. "There is another full lycan as you know and...they're female."

I was about to question why the lycan being a female made any difference...but then it sat in. I staggered back from Mathias, resting my hand on my chest. "She wants my place, doesn't she?!"

"Rose..."

"Tell me the truth, Mathias! Do not sugarcoat it right now."

"She does. Now that I'm about to be king she wants to rule beside me. A full female lycan bonding with a full male lycan would produce one hell of a bond and full-blooded offspring."

The thought alone disgusted me.

"It's not you that she's going to challenge is it?" I mumbled, fear seeping in.

"She won't get the chance to get near you, Rose. I promise."

"It doesn't matter, Mathias! The twins said it themselves, it's the lycans most sacred law. Whether she gets close to me or not, she is going to challenge me and I have to accept it!" Tears filled my eyes and Mathias cursed, trying to pull me to him but I gently pushed his touch away.

"Why are you being like this? It's not my fault." He snapped.

"Because I am going to die and...she gets you."

"Rosemarie Elizabeth Spur, do not think like that for one second!" My father snarled.

"Is there anything else we need to know about?" I asked numbly, ignoring my father's outburst.

The look on his face answered my question. "What else can possibly be worse?" My mom fretted.

"I'm no longer the alpha of lycans...she is. According to the lycan earlier, she is two years older than me making her the eldest and the alpha."