Chapter 8.

Rowing boat and running across the lane in the early morning somehow helped Manik to sober up from the last night restlessness.

He didn't wanted someone to control his emotions.

He will keep the feelings of those vulnerabilities under the facade of his stiffness. Just the way he had stored and bottled them up since so many year. He will not let someone like her to dissolve them in the fit of emotions.

Walking inside his house he got the view of his nagging and whining sister, Meera throwing tantrums over ditching her school for the day.

Sheetal, his mother was having the tough time over running behind the little girl who couldn't keep her small feet on one place.

Face going stern, Manik heaved a sighing breath.

"What's going on?"

He tried smoothing his voice as soft as his vocal cord could allow but the little girl was immediate terrified on the very sight of her brother.

Running and scooting behind the shield of her mother, Meera hide behind Sheetal. Sheetal smiled under her breath seeing how Manik can easily tame this little rocket with his mere tone.

Pulling her ahead, Sheetal gave him her best smile.

"Nothing Manik. She is about to get ready for her school, isn't it Meera?" targeting with the aim, Sheetal hit the bullseye by using Manik as a weapon which immediate did it wonder by making Meera bob her head.

"Ye-yes bhaiya." She smiled nervously.

"Yeah sure. You are about to miss your school bus but you say you are going to get ready. Impressive."

Manik's conclusion left Meera slightly pale as she knew what awaits for her. Head bowing low, she waited for him to yell on her but much to her surprise she saw him kneeling down in front of her to make them come level to level.

"You don't want to go school?" flat but soft voice of his eased the layer of hesitance inside Meera as she sincerely answered him back "No."

"Why?"

"Because they will trouble me again."

"What did I taught you about fear, Ms. Meera Malhotra?"

Raising her glossy eyes, she met it with his void gaze which looked back at her with no rage.

"Don't fear the fear..instead fight them back" her mumbling his taught phrase made a small peek of smile adorn his face.

He cupped her small face "Exactly. That's why always remember Meera, this world and the people around will not let you live if you show them your vulnerable sight. They are always on the opportunity to bring you down. But its you who have to stay strong and fight every enmity with your willpower."

"but what if I fail the fight, bhaiya?" Meera's lips quivered which wrenched Sheetal's motherly heart but Manik was quick with his response "then all you have to do is remember having your brother's back. Will that do?"

Sheetal had her eyes beaming with tears which didn't poured but glistened in her eyes.

Manik indeed is a pillar of the house and he has given his day and night to protect his family. And being a mother she is definitely proud of her son.

Meera's small but hearty grin made Manik give her his sincere smile. He pecked her forehead before getting up.

"If you get ready within 20 then you will get to ride on my diva." his tempting offer got a shine back in Meera's eyes "you are dropping me today? Yess!"