Chapter 40.

The weather suddenly turned more frigid than it usual temperature.
But Nandini was sure that it was her herself who felt bleak with his out of the blue confession.

Anything so ever, she didn't let it disguise her tranquil demeanour. As already been casually seated, Nandini craned away her eyes aside and suck on her breath quietly concealing her apprehension from him.

Stay put--- She chanted the mantra repeatedly calculating her breath, until she discerned a cognizant graze of his meek finger over her resting hand.

"I know you don't believe me, Nandini but that's the truth. I never wanted to leave you."

Without batting her eyes over his unintended rasp, Nandini stayed put, just like what she was chanting, as she figured out she really wanted to know his reasonings on his disappearance.

"I never wanted this marriage." Taking a drag of prolonging breath, Manik sighed "Nor did I ever wanted to reckon this relationship."

"I know" His eyes flicked over her low sole reply before he saw her dragging her gaze down where his fingers were lazily spooning around hers "Haven't you made that obvious many time?"

Uneased by her quiet yet scornful remark, Manik made his grip feeble around her finger and mumbled inaudibly, which nonetheless was quite perfect for her to hear.

"It was not all about you, Nandini. My reasons for not accepting was far beyond what you think. It was grevious and nothing about our wedding was pure and pious."

Eyes furrowed softly but in deep thought, Nandini found her gaze shifting at him, whose eyes unusually seemed all the more tormented than she have seen ever  "It was purely sickening."

A muffled gasp caught stuck into her throat over his visible revulsion for their relationship.
She knew he detested the alliance, but to this extent was something she could have never fathom.

"I was betrayed and felt broken beyond repair." His voice sinked further low, until he chuckled sadly "and who might understand that feeling more than you."

Her brows ceased upon a faint crease as she reckoned his words, while he shook his head in utter dismay "While leaving, I knew what it was going to be like with you, Nandini. I knew you will be shredding in odds and ends. And trust me when I say I was disturbed all those years of my known awareness. It was triggering my conscience."

The painful and gradual revelation felt unsettling for her but then she felt his finger silently slipping in between the gap and filling the voidness perfectly, which strangely sooth her anxiety a bit down.

"And then this poor organ inside here" jabbing a finger over his chest, he chuckled dryly "it was dying several deaths at every second of its heart rate."

Despite seeing a smile on his lips, Nandini could finely detect how troubled he actually was from inside. Howbeit, she herself wasn't any less.

She was perturbed beyond comprehension.

"I must sound unrealistic, but you made my frozen heart swell in warmth, Nandini." He confessed and dragged his gaze upon her softly "and it was scaring me to no avail."

His genuine divulgence made her hold on to his gaze for long, as all those rejection and refusal of her professed feeling came sneaking into her head and blare some sort of alarm which was begging her to not get flattered by him.