twenty-nine

The Talk
~•°•~

A blanket of darkness eerily crept over the day. Lyra was left to think about her next actions. She thought about postponing her search for her family, maybe that was the best thing she could do?

It was no secret that Ignacios was trying his best to fix and put everything like the way it used to be. Could it still be even fixed when everything for her was gone? She no longer wanted a life with a mate and yet, it still scared her when she thought she’d still fall for him.

As she sat on the swing that hung on the cabin’s front porch, Iggy’s scent wafted into her nose, making a cold shiver run down her spine.

Fuck.” She muttered lowly. Even Iggy’s smell excited her senses.

“What’s the problem?” She heard a voice say. Her head turned to where it came from, seeing Felix with a wide grin on his face, walking over the steps with a dead boar slung on his shoulder. He was naked from the waist up, skin covered with sweat as tiny specks of leaves stuck on the long curly hair that covered half of his forehead.

“Lex,” she raised a brow. “where’s Edward?”

“He stayed behind to check the borders,” he set his prize neatly on the floor and sat beside her. “scoot a little.”

She sighed, rolling her eyes. Realization kicked in thoughts, it was the first time since Felix arrived where they were left alone together to speak. Maybe now it was a good time to ask what he was planning to do back home.

“You’ve been gone for long times with Neddy, what exactly have you been doing with him?” She watched as his eyes softened, a sly tight-lipped smile appearing on his lips.

“I’ve just been spending time with him, hunting and trapping, all the things we used to do.” He says. “I remember when we were kids, I had a hard time setting up traps and throwing knives, Iggy was always there to help me.”

That wasn’t the answer she was looking for but he was genuine. The clarity in him almost made the side of her lip curve up.

She took notice somber tone of his voice. The longer she sat there without any response the more painful it was. Felix still really hasn’t changed. Ignacios was his idol, even when they were kids, Lyra saw how much he looked up to his older brother.

“Must have been fun, huh?”

“Yeah, I missed him. He’s still a better father than old grumpy, Larry.” He went silent.

It still wasn’t an easy topic for him to talk about. Growing up without his real father, both him and his older brother. But they were luckier than most, they had Edward with them.

“About Larry, where’s the man hiding now?” Lyra asked.

“I don’t know actually after I left, the only thing I heard about him was when he went to Europe with his mate. Probably good that he’s out of our lives.” He snickered, pushing the swing with his feet.

‘Not good for me, though.’ Lyra thought bitterly.

The wind wafting against her face blew her unkempt hair all over the place. A low chuckle made its way into her hearing. Felix’s familiar stare caught her gaze as turned towards him. The adoring glint on his eyes causing a twitch on her fingers.

“I’m sorry,” he says and used the heels of his bare feet to stop the swing. “hair is always such a hassle, but yours is beautiful.” He leaned and swiped her hair off of her face.

“Hey, you try and grow hair. Don’t you get tired of the same old do?” He always wore his hair short, perfectly trimmed on the side.

“It beats being bald, though.” He laughed. “Besides, my head’s not the only place where hair grows.”