TWENTY-FOUR

TWENTY-FOUR

Madeline had spent a quiet horror movie filled afternoon with her Aunt Maggie. Neither females had talked much, both lost in their own thoughts. Madeline had snuck away after Maggie nodded off. Initially, she had thought to seek out Sebastian immediately. They were going to Avlis as soon as sleep took over but Madeline needed a moment to herself before she was thrust into Sebastian's beautiful world.

Madeline's bathroom hadn't changed much since when she was a child. It was painted yellow with bright orange fish stenciled near the ceiling. Madeline looked at herself in the mirror. She looked tired. Her eyes were decorated with dark gray bags, her skin looked pale even though she was nearing the middle of her summer break. She pushed her hair back and checked out her profile. She wasn't bad looking but she was absolutely vanilla. Her cheekbones were none existant, her eyes dull, she didn't even have the nose she wanted. She let out a disappointed puff of air and nearly screamed when Sebastian was suddenly behind her.

"What the hell?!" Madeline grabbed her heart. "I told you not to do that!"

"You were taking too long," Sebastian smiled. "What are you doing in here?"

"What does anyone do in the bathroom," Madeline rolled her eyes. She pretended she had a reason to wash her hands and kept busy watching the sudsy bubbles form in her palms.

Sebastian stepped closer, looking down at her obsessively cleaning her hands. He nodded once, something Madeline noticed out of the corner of her eye. He turned around and scooted back on the counter, watching her face the way he had perfected over the last couple of weeks.

"How dirty are your hands?" He was amused. Madeline found herself smiling as well. She had been going at it for too long. It was borderline ridiculous.

"Oh, I know what's wrong!" Sebastian gave Madeline a toothy grin. He reminded her of the Cheshire cat. Madeline dried her hands on a brightly colored towel and waited for his explanation. "You're thinking it has been a while since we've been on a date and you're nervous about what comes after."

Madeline laughed out loud.

"First off, we have never been on a date. Second, what exactly are you implying comes after?"

"Sure we have," Sebastian shrugged. "And I'm implying getting naked with me after our date."

"You are delusional," Madeline shook her head. She hoped he wouldn't see the blush that always seemed to show up after such suggestive words. She moved quick, leaving the bathroom and heading toward her bedroom, Sebastian strolling lazily behind.

Inside her room Madeline pulled on her fluffiest socks and crawled into bed. She watched Seb lock the door and turn off the light. He was in bed with her, so close she could feel the soft movements of his breath. She closed her eyes, admiring the masculine scent that accompanied his presence. She fell asleep, knowing within minutes they would be making their way to Avlis.

"So I have a perfect idea for our date," Sebastian smiled. They were both walking down the curious paths of Eros. "Guaranteed to have you naked by the end of the trip."

Madeline made a face at his crude words. "Where are we going?"

"There's this forest. I'm not sure where it is but I do know it's somewhere off the edge of the cities center. There's a small café place. I think you'll like it," Sebastian smiled. "Then after..."

"No, I mean like where we are going now? I'm almost positive this isn't the way to Ezra's."

Sebastian's smiled faded just a fraction, the playful light dulling slightly behind those purple eyes.