FORTY

FORTY

Sebastian hadn't slept. His mother had told him he needed to. His father had given him a concerned look which he saved for monumental occasions. Even Ezra had suggested a nap over a cup of warm tea that he never touched. He had tried to sit at home but his bones ached from lack of sleep and his chest ached from all the not knowing so he moved toward the wall where he could sit against that same tree and look at where she was.

He had taken her there a few weeks before. He had told her to ask whatever questions she might have about where he'd been. That had ended in them kissing feverishly until they were interrupted. They were always interrupted. He hadn't minded so much at the time. He enjoyed seeing Madeline flustered. He liked her pink cheeks and the way her eyes darted around as her jumbled brain tried to think of an excuse for her panting breaths to her aunt who could never see him. He loved all that and he thought they had more time. He thought they were special. No one else matched with a mortal. He had no doubt that they would figure out their situation but then she'd gotten lost in the Nothing and he'd been ripped back so fast and he just wasn't sure how to wrap his mind around it. None of that was supposed to happen. 

"There you are," Ezra looked tired as well. She was dressed in her usual bright clothing but her curls were limp at her ears, falling flat against her shoulders. Sebastian nodded at her in greeting, too tired to offer anything else.

"Your mom sent you lunch," she shook a paper bag in front of her.

"Tell her thanks will you?"

"Yeah, I will. Hey Seb," Ezra started. "You're not going to do her any good if you get sick. You need to rest a little bit and then you can go on being a hero, okay?"

Sebastian shook his head. He was staring at that wall. It didn't seem like much but it was. He could try to climb but the currents would knock him down before he even made it to the top. He couldn't get to the Nothing from Avlis and he couldn't find what he needed to get there without the dangerous liquid he'd promised Madeline he'd never take again, not that he could find that without Lucian's help anyway.

He fell asleep rather quickly. It was seamless as if sinking into a warm bath. He woke with a start, his back pressed uncomfortably against that familiar old tree. How long had he been out? He looked at the sky. It was smeared with purples and blues. It had been a while. Ezra had left him there, probably scared she wouldn't have the chance to get back to sleep. The paper bag that held his lunch was tucked against his side.

"Beautiful," Sebastian jumped at the nearness of the voice. Krake sat to his right, his head cocked playfully to his side. "You've looked better Mr. Bear."

"Krake?" He hadn't seen the mischievous punished god since he'd left Tres Manor.

"You remember me? I'm honored!" Krake teased. "I met her."

"Her?" Sebastian tried to wake his sleep logged brain. He could probably use to sleep a few more hours. He wasn't ready for the fast-paced conversation that Krake brought with him.

"Yes HER! The love of your life. Your reason for living. The star of every inappropriate daydream."

"Madeline? You met her?" Sebastian sat up a bit straighter at the realization.

"There it is! Interest!"

He hadn't even considered Krake being a help, mainly because in the traditional sense he probably wasn't. Krake could move freely between worlds but he most definitely couldn't bring someone with him. Forever ago sure, but since he'd been stripped of half his powers he had limitations.