Chapter 1: Friendship

Levi's POV

"N-No! Stop it!" I struggled to leave the grasps of Erwin, Nile, and Miche. They were all holding me down as they struggled to push me towards the group of girls. The boys just grinned, snarling. While the girls... they giggled softly. Only one girl wasn't giggling... and that was Hanji. She looked up from her book, her eyes wide with worry. "No! Leave me alone!"

"Stop being such a baby!" Erwin shouted to me, nodding his head to the other 2. "Now... go!"

"W-Wha?" Surprised, they released their pressure on me... and suddenly... I was flung towards Hanji. My knees scraped against the dirt floor, and I felt it sting. I got... dirty... and hurt... as much as my body wanted me to cry, I didn't. I gasped, looking up and falling on my bottom. "H-Hanji..."

She puts her hand in the book, looking at me with those hazel eyes. "Y-Yes..?"

"I-I... u-um... I um..." I looked away, feeling warm and nearly sick to the stomach.

"Hah!" Nile laughed when he looked down at me, and I could feel them all pointing their fingers at me. "He doesn't have the guts to tell her. Come on, Erwin, why are you even friends with this guy? He doesn't seem like a great 7 year old boy... he just seems like a 7 month old baby. Hang  out with me more often, with other 9 year old boys. Not babies."

"What's going on...?" Hanji asks, looking at me curiously.

"N-Nothing..."

She chuckles softly, leaning forward. "They wouldn't be mean to you for no reason... why are they doing that? Don't worry, I won't judge, and I won't help bullies like them."

"I-I can't say..."

I struggled to look at her, afraid of what she would say to me. After all... I have the biggest crush on her. The only reason why those boys did that was to make fun of me... was because they thought that Hanji would reject and laugh at me. Would... she...?

"Then... can you tell me without saying? Like... telling me through actions?"

"U-Um... y-yes..." Quickly, I pecked a kiss on her right cheek. Pulling away, I quickly ran away to my tree-house. One of the workers at the orphanage noticed my introverted self, and they decided to make a tree-house just for me. A hidden entrance way as well. I managed to escape all their laughs... I hated that... "L-Leave me alone..."

*   *   *

Curling into a tiny ball inside the tree-house, I didn't want to move a muscle. I didn't want to leave or anything. This tree-house... this was my safety area. No one could invade. This was my place... and it would be if no one adopted me.

I only got out of the little ball formation when I heard those creaks and groans of the wood. The little trapdoor popped open, and out came Hanji. I let out a little squeak when I saw her, but she just smiled when her eyes landed with me. 

"Ah... there you..."

"H-Hanji... l-leave me alone..."

She giggles, sitting next to me. "Don't worry, I only know where this place is. I won't tell anyone. I just want to talk to you about that little kiss..."

"No!"

Once more, she giggles softly, but then... she leaned really close to me. "You like me... isn't that right...? Tell me the truth, please. I won't be angry or anything... please tell me?"

I sighed heavily, looking away and nodding my head. "I-I do like you..."

When I turned back to her, she quickly kissed my cheek with a smile on her face. "That's really cute... hey, let's be friends, okay? And maybe, I might like you back. Well... I'm not denying you yet. I think you're a really great person, okay? You know my name... what's yours?"

"Levi..."

"That's awesome!" Her bright smile and bright eyes lit me up with happiness. Oh... I really think she's really... really... cute... "Nice to meet you, Levi! Oh... and we can play together, if you don't mind. Do you? I'm just... a bit lonely... I just read books and you're all by yourself. Best friends?"

Although she spoke too fast and too excited... I really wanted her to be my friend. So, I kissed her cheek again, smiling gently. "Y-Yeah... best friends... thanks for being m-my friend, Hanji..."