Chapter 15: B-Baby...?

Hanji's POV

Once the little kids were all dressed, I walked them out the door... and Levi was already back. I gasped, seeing him casually carry in those boxes of doughnuts. For what reason did he go to the police station and come back bearing doughnuts? Whatever it was, he must've thought that he can smooth it over by giving doughnuts.

Before the kids went off to the bus stop, he handed them a doughnut. Each one had their favorite flavor. When they slowly disappeared to the bus stop, Levi made his way towards me. I opened my mouth to scold him- or even demand an answer. But he stopped me by kissing my lips. He pushed against me with a little grin.

"You seem... tense... you okay, Han?"

I blushed softly, backing away from the door. He passed through, holding my hand tightly. "The kids said that you went to the police station... and yet you brought doughnuts. What's going on?"

He kisses me once more, leading me to the couch. "Well Hanji... remember when we were kids? You helped me want to be a police officer. I wanted to be like that- so I went to the police station to try to get my criminal record get expunged. I do have to find someone that's not you to defend me. Don't worry, okay? Everything's fine."

I sighed softly in relief, chuckling softly. "Okay then... it's also better to say that the kids nearly set the orphanage on fire- which is why I was worried for you and-"

"Wait wait, they... they what?"

"Nearly set the orphanage on fire. Eren said that he made a promise with you that he would never bother me as you left to the police station. So he tried to make breakfast for everyone and accidentally burned the eggs. Even the smoke alarms activated- but I fixed it all."

Levi shook his head, running his fingers through his hair. "He takes everything so seriously... it's dangerous."

"Well, it's not a bad thing. Not necessarily. He was doing the right thing- even if it did almost lead to a disaster." My head nuzzled into his chest as I curled up with him. "I wouldn't mind being bothered because I am staying here now. Might as well take it as my job."

"Don't push yourself too much. You are pregnant and I know you still want to go to high school. Oh wait... I almost forgot that you wanted to be a scientist as well... that means college and-"

"Okay okay, I get it." Once more, I chuckled softly as I caressed my stomach. I do have all these plans and this baby... "Levi, if I do go to college right after giving birth to this little one... would you take good care of it as I'm away?"

Levi kissed my neck, "I really don't mind, but maybe you should slow it down. Maybe go to college next year. Because... babies usually develop in 9 months... that leaves us in September-ish. That's when most colleges starts... so yeah, slow down. Your dream career won't leave you if you slow down for one year."

"Ugh... fine... but that means more time for me to bond with the little one."

He then kissed my forehead, holding me close. "We'll go through it together, Hanji. Don't worry about it now- focus on your studies first so you can graduate from high school. Then we can worry about your college thing. In the meantime, I will worry about your health. Because if there's something wrong with you, there might be something wrong with the baby."

*   *   *

I must've fallen asleep through that movie because the next second was that the kids were arriving home from the school bus. I groaned as I tried to pull myself off the couch, and all of a sudden, they were all bombarding me with their little greetings. I smiled at it- at how cute it was all. But then, Levi gave me this curious look. Even gesturing to the his stomach- did he... want me to tell them about the baby?

I sighed softly, sitting back down on the couch. I smiled softly, giggling a bit. "Hey, want to hear something really, really cool?" They all nodded their heads, and even Levi came over to me. He placed his stern hands on my shoulders, comforting me in every way. "This is... something really important to both Levi and me."

"Miss Hanji, what is it?" Eren tilts his head with curiosity filling into his emerald eyes.

I smiled once more, feeling it grow as I confessed. "Levi and I... we are gonna have a baby." Their reactions were so innocent- just their eyes growing wide with surprise. Levi then leaned down, kissing my cheek as told me to continue. "Because of the baby... I'm gonna stay here. I'm gonna help him take care of you- and is it okay that you guys can help me?"

Armin quickly nods his head. "Yes, Miss Hanji."

But Jean jumps in, pushing all the kids away. "Does that mean that we can play with the baby soon?"

"No." Levi said it so sternly, it put a bit of fear into me. "The baby should be coming in... 9 months. But it'll be small-"

"Like you?" I stifled a laugh as Connie shouted it out. Behind me, I heard Levi growling softly, but what could he do? They were just kids. 

"Connie, enough." He then resumed his little speech, but I couldn't get that little outburst out of my head. "The baby wouldn't be old enough to play with the big kids like you. It's gonna stay close to both Hanji and I. And I mean it when I say that she shouldn't be put into danger- and don't ever get her mad. It would... hurt the baby."

Everyone nods their head and went off to do their homework. I guess that they were gonna be lectured by Levi again soon, but it doesn't matter. What matters is that... they were aware of the baby's existence... and they would be great siblings. Even if they were adopted to different families.